Lake Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JDWILLIS39, Nov 15, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Anybody fish Lake Wateree. It would be really handy place to meet my son for fishing and family get togethers. How is the cat fishing. Any information would be appreciated. What kind of camping is available around the lake.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    lake wateree is pretty hot for the blues,you can catch em all the way from cedar creek dam to lake wateree dam,we mostly fish up in the river towards cedar creek,but alot of folks drift from the mouth of the lake on down towards the state park in the river channel,there are some good spots up in the river,look for your deep holes and sharp bends in the river,we use cut shad,cut perch,bream,live shad,as for camping the state park has a nice camp ground,dont know the prices right off hand,it is not a bad boat ride up to river and its not bad fishing from the bank at the state park,the river channel actually is real close on that side,good luck

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jd i havent fished for catfish there but i can tell you the state campgrounds in sc and this one is a really nice place to stay. i stayed in the lake wateree campground several times when i hunted in s.c. they had clean heat bathouses and this one had a marina on the water when i stayed there in the early 90s.

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Their are some real big blues up in there. My buddy and I go out on his dock and throw out and cat dozens of herring. We shoot probably about 20 rods out and catch them up to about 40 lbs. Lots of stripers in there too!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I love Wateree and I hope to go down next week but not sure I can yet.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    What about eating the cats out of Wateree. I have been in this area since 1970 and can't eat the fish from Wateree. They taste like gas to me. Now that they are catching big cats there I may go down and do CPR.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have no idea how they taste because I always release them at Wateree.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Catch and release is the thing to do in Wateree. Even the Crappie have the bad taste to me but many people eat them but many also don't eat them.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never had a bad tasting fish out of Wateree, it could just be me though.I know if you eat to many fish out of Monticello that you will start glowin though.:big_smile:

10. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I live 45 min from the dam. I catch alot of blues there.They all have tasted good to me.I camp right there. You have to rough it. It has always been worth the trouble

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

At Cedar Creek Dam?

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks to everyone for their response. Anybody stay at the Air force camping area (Wateree Recreation Area) not state park. How is it. Is fishing any good out of there.

Thanks

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I know lots of people who eat and prefer the fish from Monticello. As a matter of fact the water there is much cleaner than the Wateree!!!!

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man I was just kiddin about the glowin thing but you will start turnin green after a while though.:big_smile: Seriously they are some of the best eatin in the state out of Monticello.I think that every single small fish should be kept from Monticello for a while to reduce the population just a little to allow more growin room but thats for another post.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Looks like I'm crapped out again. I'm off next week and I don't get holiday pay so I'll be staying at home. I might hunt all week since I can't afford to ride down to Wateree. Good luck to all who can go.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't take trophy fish (20+) for eating. Smaller fish are not only better tasting but we can make sure the next guy has a chance to enjoy big fish when we release them to grow. The digital camera has made catch and release a great option.

17. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I live about 40min. from the Beaver Creek ramp behind the marina.We Crappie fish the lake starting in March.the biggest cat we've ever caught was maybe 9lbs.You can catch small flatheads all day long at Clearwater cove landing.