Lake Wateree - Why is water so low?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by big fishing, Jan 22, 2010.

1. big fishing

big fishing New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What is the dill with wateree why is the water so low. Are they working on the dame or what. For what I hear this is lower than what they have seen in a long time

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    water is low this time of year for people to make dock and ramp repairs should come back up in feb

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Today Lake Wateree is actually 6" above its target elevation, so it is really a little higher than what it should be.

This time of the year the target elevation is a little over 5 feet below full pond.

4. big fishing

big fishing New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well it seemed low to me. Why would they be working on the boat docks right now? Shouldn't they wait till Spring time?

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    can you amagine all the ski boats and pleasure boats that would tear up props an foots that time of year with all the rocks an stumps plus falling off of tubes an jet skis on stumps could get deadly target 94.8 right now 95.2

6. big fishing

big fishing New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well that does make more sense you said that

7. Larry D

Larry D New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I almost messed my prop up on the stump in the middle of june creek last weekend, Seems like every time I figure out the fish they start messing with the water.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...water is low this time of year for people to make dock and ramp repairs..."

I think that may be an old wives tale.

From what folks at Duke Power have told me, they lower the lake at this time of year due to rainfall. January and March are our wettest months. In these winter months there is less demand for water for irrigation, washing cars, etc, and less is lost through evaportation like in the summer months. So, the lakes are kept at a lower level in January-March for flood control from the increased rainfall.

Lake Wylie is maintained at an operating level of 97, and Mt. Island at 96, year round. Lake Norman, the largest lake in the Catawba chain, faces a major drawdown in February.

We will get a definative answer to all these questions when the folks at Duke Power when they come speak at one of our Carolina Catfish Club meetings later this year. The plan is to have them explain water release schedules, how the lakes work, and some history about the lakes so we all can learn some things to help us catch more catfish!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.