Lake Wateree striper trolling lures?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by daredevle, Jul 31, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does any body know any good trolling lures for striper i am going to lake wateree in a week i need info

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I hear the little fishie and similar weighted soft plastics do well, but I believe most are catching 'em on live bass minnows right now because shad are so hard to keep in the heat of the summer.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive always heard big plugs, big plastics, saltwater rattle traps. anything with size to it. but thats just what ive heard for stripers, im yet to catch one. but its one of my goals.

4. hammercat

hammercat New Member

State:
    south carolina
    same here. ive caught one ever and it was while fishing for catfish on the bottom with cut shad.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You can but them at the bait shop...that is what they call the large shiners.:big_smile:

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I use stretch 25 red/white [deep diving]or 4 inch white grubs [jigging]for stripers...rattle traps are good too....

Attached Files:

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh man. I can see this is going to take a little time.

They are called bass minnows because they r larger than crappie minnows and are commonly used to catch bass. Not because they come from bass. I do apologize if that was confusing.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris umbrella- rigs are hard to beat but can get expensive if you lose any to trees depending on what type lure you have on them. bucktails work well also lil fishies bout 3 inches long on a 3/4 oz jig head works great. there is alot of diff. colors but on hartwell most people use the blue and white. there is a place on hwy 34 in thats fishing and hunting stuff, he will have most anything you need and his prices are prob. the best I have seen it is called a&b outfitters. I stock up everytime I go to lugoff to visit my wifes parents,

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    That's what I was gonna say Rodger. Most places that sell them call them bass minnows/bass shiners.

10. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I was thinking the same as flopeye what if some one was going catfishing with shiners and not bass fishing would they then be called catfish minnows??

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Naaa They use them for Striper Fishing nobody calls them striper minnows.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...would they then be called catfish minnows??..."

Ya'll make me laugh!!! :smile2:

13. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    thx for clearing up river rat:tounge_out:

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I usually ask for big a$$ minnows but nobody carries them close by me. I have to drive out of my way to buy Black Salties but at least they are worth it usually because I have had some troubles catching bait.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya Flopeye, when I buy them I just point at the tank and say "give me a dozen big 'uns and two dozen small 'uns." :smile2: