Lake wateree striper lures?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by daredevle, Jul 30, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    could some give me some good lures for lake wateree stripers and hrybrids or tips with live bait thanks

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres not suppossed to be any hybrids in any body of water in SC but the Savannah chain of lakes so if you catch one in Wateree the DNR made a mistake.Live herring, gizzard shad and big shiners fished on down rods is probably one of the most favored ways of fishin for them.If you would rather troll its hard to beat umbrella rigs but it can get real technical to get them to run at the right depth sometimes.Down rods or downlineing is pretty easy.You let the bait down to the depth you mark the fish at and slowly troll around with your trollin motor and wait on a rod to head south toward the water pretty rapidly.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Both white bass and stripers can have broken lines at times.It can be real hard to tell the difference between a white bass and a hybrid too. They dont want any hybrids in any body of water that feeds the Santee Cooper system becuase of fear that they will interfere with the natural reproduceing striper population at Santee.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Here this is straight from the horses mouth.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught hybrids out of wateree also, they have put them in most lakes that the striper doesnt naturally reproduce. santee lake system is the only lake that they can do this in and the fish in wateree lake doesnt affect the river.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm just goin by what the biologists told me that post above was copied and pasted from his e-mail that he sent me when I asked him why they didnt put hybrids in Greenwood and Murray.

7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Settle down big dog:big_smile: Not trying to disagree with you. but there have been some caught it could have been from past stocking or maybe getting crossed up like you said. I know they are hard to tell the diff at times, it gets real tough as they get larger but I have never saw a white bass get 4 or 5 lbs. so I know they werent those. I havent fished for stripers much on wateree so I know if it was a fluke or there are alot in there.

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    one of the fish I caught,when I was cleaning it I noticed a anchor worm stuck to it under a scale and when I called the dnr to report it they did sound kinda surprised that it was on a hybrid they gave me a number to a biologist to call and report the worm to and they said they didnt think the problem was to bad but thanked me for calling and said to call back if I saw anymore.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I beleive you because I think I caught some in there one time too but I was just tellin what the biologists said.:smile2: I'm not a hybrid expert so I just ruled them off as big white bass with broken lines.The biologists also said that theres no blues in Murray and Greenwood too.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    This confusion has went on at Lake Greenwood for years and thats why I asked the biologists about it.To tell you the truth I'm not sure that some of these fish that have broken stripes on them I catch out of Greenwood are not hybrids but the biologists said they are absolutely not.I'm not tryin to argue and say they aint none in Wateree because I believe yall but I dont understand why they would put them there when all that seperates them from Santee is the Wateree river.Where in Greenwood they have a whole other 55,000 acre lake (Murray) to go thru before gettin to Santee.It dont make since.Maybe he was just shootin me a line of crap, I think I was gettin on his nerves for askin him all kinds of questions.:smile2: Oh well I guess we'll keep catchin the introduced species as long as they are there.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    "Someone" may have put some hybrids in Wateree but it wasn't the SCDNR. NC wanted to introduce them in Norman at one time but SC raised a lot of fuss and it did not happen. I would love it if they put some in Wateree. Probably would make excellent catfish bait! Matter of fact...I am sure they would make super effective excellent catfish bait. :wink:

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We have also pulled hybrids out Wateree-We use the Strike King small spinnerbaits in white,& we also use bucktails in various colors.-Back when we fished seriously up there for Crappie,the Stripers would hit small Rattlin' Rapala deepdivers.Don't the hybrids have a different "tooth" position than the Stripers?

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Did a "little" research. Striped bass (pure strain) can have broken lines also according to sources I found. Two hybrid crosses exist according to several sources. WB male X SB female and SB male X WB female. Hybrids exhibit broken patterns mostly the upper half of the fish, not as much toward the caudal fin. The resulting hybrid is sterile.

So, if the DNR did not stock then one could argue that there was naturally occurring hybridization (rare) and even if it happened the offspring would not be able to propagate more offspring. Not plausable.

People may have transported some fish in to Wateree?? Well, the chance of that would be slim I believe. What is the benefit of an angler putting a one shot fish into Wateree. They are not going to make more Hybrids.

That leaves 2 other options:

1. DNR is lying and conducted a secret stocking of Hybrids into Wateree or

2. Sometimes striped bass sometimes demonstrate broken lines.

Frostman ---Please weigh in on this. I know you know a lot about the DNR and fish biology.

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    "DNR did it in the late 70's"

I think that is speculation on your part, no disrespect intended. If any were stocked they would be 30 years old. I don't think that is possible. Maybe between all of us we can get the real scoop.

I will ask the regional fisheries biologist, but I have to agree with Chris. I believe these are striped bass not hybrids. They do not get real big because the high water temps confine them to certain areas of the lake during the warm months.

15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I use to fish for stripers at least twice a week to several yrs and have caught plenty of both, also attended sev. striper king meetings where they had people from the hatchery that would explain in detail how to tell the difference between to the two (striper/ hybrid). And the few fish I caught that were hybrids were not stripers and were not over 3 to 5 lbs. they were caught in front of wateree dam during the summer along with some stripers that were considerably larger and also a few cats. Now I dont know how they got in there or if they were stocked or not but I know what I caught.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Ronald I don't dispute what you caught but we can find out if stocking occurred because records would be kept of stocking public waters. I have never heard of hybrids in Wateree until this discussion but that doesn't mean they aren't in there. It is a big lake. I have sent e-mail to the the fisheries biologist and I will post whatever is said.

17. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    here is the response I got when I ask about hybrids being stocked in wateree. evidentally some one has tried to stock it illegally or the ones I caught was majorly deformed stripers

No, hybrids have not been stocked into Lake Wateree nor in any of the lakes (Greenwood, Murray, Wateree, and the Santee Lakes) that flow into the drainage systems (rivers)that end in the SC Native striped bass fishery including the Pee Dee, the Santee, and ACE Basins. This includes NC lakes above the Pee Dee and Wateree Rivers. SC and NC have an understanding for NC not to do this because of keeping the geen pool of natural native SC stripers pure.

Most people think that the hybrid striped bass is 100% sterile but that is not true. Only the triploid hybrid is 100% sterile. Many of the normal hybrids (both the SC version of male while bass/female striped bass, and the Georgia cross male striped bass/female white bass) do spawn and can contaminate the striped bass gene pool if allowed to run with native spawning striped bass in naturally reproducing fisheries.

Hope this helps,

Warren

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thank you Thank you thank you for puttin this up.Point proven.My whole point from the get go was that they where not Suppossed to be in there. I dont post any information on this site like this unless I have proof of it and here it is.:smile2:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The broken lines are not 100% proof that a particular fish is a hybrid striped bass. Looking at the teeth will help to clear up any confusion, but even that to the inexperienced angler can be inconclusive.