Lake Wateree shad question?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Jan 5, 2008.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Have the shad headed out in the lake yet or can I still get them by the boat ramps at dusk like I was back in Nov.?

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    We put in at Wateree Creek on Tuesday and caught net fulls at the bridge. They seemed to be all around that area.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    try the bridges at colonel creek and dutchman at night and docks with lights on the main channel but be careful at the end of the docks for chritmas trees,brush and other structures to attrack fish one good way to tell is if they have rod holders good luck:smile2:

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Billfish 76 is correct. The water at the bridge at Wateree Creek is deep esp on the right side if you are facing from the landing. Be very careful lots of stuff there that will tear up a net but plenty of bait. Sometimes you get a few small catfish to go with your shad. That can be a mess:crazy:

We are able to get shad and small blueback on the lower end of the lake. You can see the large schools near the mouth of the creeks in the south end of the lake. Makes excelllent cut bait for the blues. They are pretty deep to 25 feet. We use 8 foot nets.

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well I thank you guys for the replies. Looks like I am pretty much screwed since those places you described appear to me that I would need a boat and I do not have one. Looks like I am just going hang the poles up till spring, better off not freezing my butt of anyway.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    No Way! Don't ever give up! This is what will prove your worth as a catman. Improvise, change tactics,switch things up a bit. I'd be willing to bet that One of the Wateree guys would give you some of there left over bait to put in the feezer or you could just take a smaller rod with some worms or a bass rig to catch anything to use as bait!

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    At the bridge I was throwing the net close tothe bank. Close enough that you should be able to get some from the bank. You might risk snagging something, but give it a try. Dont give up yet. Drive to the ramp before daylight, and people getting there, let your head lights shine on the ramp for a while, then try throwing your net at the end of the ramp. Id give you a hand, but I dont fish down that way oftenly.