Lake Wateree report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Mar 7, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm puttin this up here for the Wateree fisherman.I know for a fact that somebody has been lately I've already heard.This is where you put it at yall.:lol: :lol:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    well Me and Jeff went this past weekend to Stumpy Pond,which is above Cedar Creek Dam,we were gonna try some crappie tightlining against our better judgement,we knew the water and wind would be bad,but we went anyway,friends of ours had been catching 30 and 40 at a time prior to the monsoon,trash everywhere,current too bad,water was going over the dam,we stayed about an hour and decided we would go on around to Wateree,we got over to wateree creek and could not even see the boat ramps and the dock was about underwater,needless to say we boggied on back to Rock Hill,hopefully some good reports will be coming in the next week or so about some cat action,the stripers should be making there way up in the river soon,I know i cant wait,my luck needs to turn soon,well thats my report for now,maybe someone else knows something since last weekend?

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres a certain two thats been but they keepin it hush hush.I'm leavin it up to them to do the right thing and post a report.:lol:

4. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Where is Lake Wateree? I've never been there before. Is there good fishing at that lake?

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The lake is still near full pond. There is some debris still in the water, but a lot has made it to shore. Water seems to flow constantly, but it does not have the bite going mad like you would think. Maybe once it stabilizes things will get more productive. Funny thing is that with all the water flowing it is no where near as muddy as Lake Wylie.

Lots of pesky nibbler fish, so pesky they will get on your nerves. Probably small cats or white perch. I think if you are going catch a good stringer on Wateree right now you will have to hit it during a good feeding period.

Talked to some crappie fishermen and they were not doing well at all. I think they had only caught 1-2 crappie in a morning of fishing. They said the muddy water on all the local lakes has affected the crappie bite.

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Lake Wateree is betwen Great Falls and Camden or about 30 miles below Rock Hill,is very good lake,blues are coming on very strong,good striper population,not big uns like Hartwell or Murray,you might catch one up to 15 or so sometimes but most run 3 to 10,good crappie Lake also

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey chris i believe one of them has posted would this be correct? i think i might know the other too. is there a new avatar coming?:lol:

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well some reports are not worth posting from the previous weekend. We went to Wateree Saturday to fight the wind and extremely high water. Put in at Beaver Creek and almost had to get the inside of the truck wet in order to launch the pontoon. Saw a few shad on top of the water, which was a good sign. Water temp in the backs of creeks was 55 to 56 and in the main lake, 52 to 53. We rode down towards singletons and fished there for a little while, with only some small cats taking bait.Made our way back up the lake and found a place to tie up to an island to get out of the wind and logs for a while.Same results there, small cats. I did talk to a older gentleman at the landing who stated he had been crappie fishing towards the upper end past wateree creek earlier in the week and he couldn't keep the stripers off his minnows. Also said he caught some cats that day and some white bass. Looks like the striper may be heading up towards ceader creek end. That's about all i have to offer on wateree, think I'm staying home this weekend and finish getting the enclosure completed.

9. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can anyone give me some information on the spring fishing for catfish on Wateree. I love fishing santee in the spring and catching big cats in 2 to 3 feet of water. Thinking of taking a vacation in april, and was looking to catch some cats as well as striper. I think wateree would be my better bet for nailing down the striper location, but not positive on the cats. Do they head towards the ceader creek end to spawn?

Thanks Robbie

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm die'n to go back haven't had the time plus the bridge at Lockhart SC was closed and still may be.