Lake Wateree Report Monday 12.7.09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 7, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Wateree this morning to see how things looked on the lake for the tournament. This was my first cat trip on the lake in many months.

Water was stained and around 54 degrees. There was a slight current, but not enough to pull the lines tight. Air temps were around 27 at sunrise and there was no wind under cloudy skys.

The bite was good. I landed seven total fish, which ain't bad for me when I am targeting big fish. My biggest ones were 16, 17, and 18 pounds. One whopper hit, but he apparently had the back end of the bait. After that I decided to move out of the area.

As I suspected, fish seem to be schooled. So, several folks will probably roll up on some teeners like I did and come to the scales with 35-40 pounds. Then there will be someone that will find the 25-35 pound schooled fish and have a field day!!

I will stick to my prediction for the winning weight, even though the "wintry mix" weather forecast is making it tempting to move to a lower weight. If I was BigBird and Holmes I would be hoping for a GREAT BITE, because I think their odds are better of winning the points race if there is a good overall good bite on the lake.

Gonna be a cold day on the lake whether we see rain, snow, sleet, or nothing.

:wink:

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks dieter good luck I hope to find the school of fifty pounders lol

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Follow Me:smile2:jk I haven't even been enough to find the little guys

Thanks for the report Dieter, i just hope the weather will be better than they are saying. It makes fishn hard for some (no tops). These guys are tuff as nails (young and old)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am enjoying your prognostication. :big_smile:
    BB in SC

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    me too! :eek:oooh:

6. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i just hope the battery in the transponder i put in that 62 still works , it will make it alot easier to find him if we make it saturday :big_smile::crazy: hope to see ya'll down there but me and my crew will be watching the weather

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    come on you want melt lol :smile2::smile2: yeah the weather is looking bad as of now bring the rain gear

8. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    oh it ain't the rain or the cold i have a 10' hard top and two heaters :smile2: the only way you get wet on my boat is from trying to get a 60 lb out of the livewell:smile2::big_smile::crazy: but when you have that much comfort you got to have a down side and mine is my boat is probably one of the heaviest out there and it is hard to stop on dry roads add a little ice and it is impossible :eek:oooh:

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah I understand that may be a factor for more than just you

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Right now, while it appears it will be a miserable day on the lake weather wise, it does not appear that it is going to be bad enough to hinder travel. The temps right now don't appear to be sinking low enough to cause any problems.

The biggest threat for the "wintry mix" is around the Charlotte area, with the Great Falls, SC area falling below "the line". Of course all this could change, so "stay tuned"!!! At best it will be a cold, rainy, miserable day....at worst it will be a cold, rainy, miserable, icy, snowy day....LOL!!

:big_smile:

11. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    maybe I will catch two monsters early an be able to go sit in dutchman an wait till weight in lol :smile2::smile2:

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC

The fish are already wet and we will be ready to go. No forfeit for the Kat Junkyz.

The temps do look like they will be high enough not to freeze but not comfortable for sure.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I LOVE NASTY WEATHER!!

Especially for tournaments. The worse the weather the better. Tournament fishing is a big mind game, and cold, rainy, extremely hot, or windy conditions prey on the mental state of other anglers. If they are not prepared for those conditions it makes their focus that much harder to maintain.

I bet several angles will be defeated because they just don't show up. Too cold, too wet, just to miserable for them to fish. So, you can imagine how mentally tough you have to be to actually fish and stay focused in conditions other would rather stay home in!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  14. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool a sleigh, lol!:crazy: I dont think it is going to freeze but understand you position. Hope we get a warming trend and you will make it. If not can i borrow the transponder?:wink:

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote by Dieter: At best it will be a cold, rainy, miserable day....at worst it will be a cold, rainy, miserable, icy, snowy day....LOL!!

Just the way i like it, Bowler is already thinking the roads will be to bad, Screamin clickers is going Christmas shopping, probably the only boats on the water will be the one's in this tournament. Low boat traffic = BIG FISH

The weather won't stop me, but i do have a father-in-law that is having surgery today and i pray that all will be well in Boone NC. because i really have enjoyed his company. He has only been fishn once in his life from a boat and that trip was with me on Wateree last yr. He hung into a big fish but never got him to the boat. I'm praying that he will get to go again with me one day and try again.

See ya guys Sat.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    GOOD NEWS!!

The weather is looking a lot better. Still gonna be cold, but the freezing stuff is not happening!

:smile2:

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    That means Bowler will be there:embarassed: Oh well, 2nd place aint to bad. :smile2:jk

mind thing:smile2::smile2:

18. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't wait till Saturday. I haven't been on the water in about 2 months. Team Fat Cat is going for broke. We want to win this one to finish our year out:smile2::smile2:.

19. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    well if i fish like i did today on sat., ya guys won't have nothing to worry about unless you just don't catch anything:smile2: I had a grand (guessing) total of about 6lbs 2 fish and that is probably streaching it A LITTLE:big_smile:

20. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Report today was Slow bite with water running over the Dam at Cedar Creek.Water looked like the muddy Mississippi.Maybe one will come by in that fast water and hook himself.Maybe we all need the change from circle hooks to treble hooks.Hear they have lockjaw from friend who fished today.:embarassed::embarassed: