lake wateree question?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dudley-1, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey guys I was wondering if any of you catfish the lower end of the lake/clearwater cove,lakeside,tee pee canoe area? I have caught a few catfish while live baiting for stripers but never targeted the catfish on that end.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Sam,I havent really ever set out to target them on the lower end specifically either,most of ours have come the same way you are talking about and that has been live baiting for Striper down between Colonel Creek and Clearwater Cove,we have however drug a rig or 2 behind us while live baiting for Striper and have had several hookups with Blues and Channels,the biggest being about 10lbs or so but like I said we werent targeting them,I know for a fact there has been some hawgs caught down as far as Beaver Creek and with the number of Blues that are in there now,you know they are from end to end on the Lake

3. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I think I just might do a little exploratory trip one evening,ancor down right on the top of my most favorite hump down towards tee pee canoe and give it a try.I just havent had much luck in deep water with the catfish.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish the upper part more often because its closer to the house but I have caught some nice blues down that way and last year near the islands i caught my biggest channel cat from wateree it was 11lbs good luck

5. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Guys,I finally made the catfish trip to the lower end.I have been averaging about three or four blues on each live bait striper trip this summer mostly small, biggest 10# all around the same hump.I thought if mabey I'd target the catfish with cut bait at night I might not be able to keep the rods in the water,,,,,,wrong,fished till close to midnight,9 catfish with 2 litle blues.only caught 3 where I have been getting them on live bait targeting stripers,2 of those were caught on live threadfins.Very few (mabey two) boats seen after dark thirty.Caught bait in beaver creek very easy,that shoulda been a sighn,easy bait,hard fish!! sam

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lots of big fish on the lower end. Find mussel beds shallow and anchor near them at night. Shallow is the word for big summer blues in the dark.

7. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Thanks mudkip.Is there an easy way to or how do you find/locate the mussell beds?I fish on some at santee but allways knew where they were by fishing with family members who has fished the spots for years.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mudkip knows that lower lake pretty dang good. I fished down there with him a few times and he manages to find them on about any section of the lake. :big_smile:

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Sometimes when I am scouting new water I will have an 8 ft aluminum rod on board to core sample the bottom. Mussel shells are easy to find like this. Also lets you know what type of bottom you are dealing with sand or mud etc. Check out a good topo map of the lake.

10. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Thanks Rodger,I may go back one evening this week but I am gonna leave the humps to my striper fishing and go to some of my old reliable catfish spots way uplake.I was up at lake hickoryand the river was full of what looked like floating mussels that were opend up.I wish I'd took a pic,looked like cotton floating on the water.Do you guys ever fish with em.? The first guy to ever tell me to fish with them was Mr. Jim Herring,he owned randolphs way back.I satyed there a good bit whlie my family was logging behind the dam in the 80's.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Yes the floaters make good bait. We try to match the hatch with the way we string our cut baits on the hook. Fresh always best the rotten ones however. Find the larger variety, they make bigger baits and will not come off like the small quarter size ones. Good luck up lake, if you are patient you may be rewarded with a nice fish.