Lake Wateree in South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Apr 3, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Went to Lake Wateree yesterday for the first time I was very impressed with the lake and the fishing but theyre were a lot of inconsiderate people there.One boat come up and anchored within about 100 feet of us and started fishing right on top of where our baits was then we caught a 18lb blue and he pulls his binoculars out and trys to see what we was using for bait.All he had to do was ask and I would've told em.Then we had just got everything set out on a drift had a double on and some idiot comes up and anchors down right in front of us so we have to get everything up and move.As far as the fishing we had 12 catfish 2 blues 6lbs and 18lbs the rest were small channels and white cats and a 5lb striper.That lake is loaded with baby white cats and channels.I will be going back to wateree but I'll have idiot repellent the next time.River Rat where do you catch most of your big fish the upper or lower part of the lake I found that deep 45 foot hole in the uppper part thats where the biggest one was caught that hole was full of fish but they didnt want to act right.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish the upper end always. I was going to day but the weather warnings like Thunderstorm, Tornado and Lake Winds kept me home. I'm going in the morning come hell or high water though. I'm getting ready to ride to one of the local ponds to catch some bait for tomorrow. It rained eariler and still looks like it will again but I need the bait so I'll chance it I guess.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Chris: I'm still trying to think of the best way to deal with inconsiderate people like that. It's too bad that there's so many of them.

Thomas: Good luck tomorrow! I"m hoping to get out to sometime this week. Lettuce know how you do :)

4. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    thats not right, i guess the only decent people are the ones that are on this site! that happened to me last week on Murray, the crappie fishin is hot right now. so when i tried to set up a good drift,along comes the spider rig guys right in the way?? they don't care! it's all about numbers and showing off!!!
    good cattin to all!!!!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I shouldn't have anybody around tomorrow but if they are I have my BOOMSTICK to make them leary of my boat.:) :)

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never seen so many boats in one area except for in the diversion canal at Santee.Thomas you didnt have to use you boomstick didgey.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nope didn't need today. Dang wind made me go in circles a few times but I made it back home safe and sound. I got on the water at 8:30am and left at 7:15pm. I caught a 7,9,14,25 and 29 lbs blues. All on cut/live bait, darn bait at the lake is way to high, $16 for two dozen ex-large minnows. At least they caught fish so it could have been worse.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Good day you had I beleive you got Wateree figured out do you drift or anchor there.I need to figure Wateree out a little more so if theyre not bighting at monty I can go there or vica versa.Its only about 25 more minutes farther than monty.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LOL!! I am glad I am not the only one who has experienced that. They say it gets worse as the striper runs gets going. Between crappie, striper, and catfishermen the boats do seem to stack up. I would hate to see what it is like on a Saturday. Last week when we fished we were heading back in and came around the bend and there was a fleet of crappie boats trolling; there must have be 15 of them.

10. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Good trip, Thomas - you were way overdue for a good one :)

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I anchored down and thats how I usually do. With the wind yesterday drifting would have been really rough. They were more boats than I thought they would be for a Tuesday. All in all it was a good trip but I did knock my transducer off as soon as I launched.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thomas do you know where a good place to catch gizzard shad at wateree.I'm not trying to get any of your holes but do you catch any in that deep hole there near the rocks because it seems like a popular spot cause everybody and their brother fish there.I think I might be going sat or sunday.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh yeah what about the resevoir above Wateree does it have descent catfish is it fishing creek or cedar creek I would know all this but I cant find a map of Wateree.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Stumpy Pond is behind/above the dam from Cedar Creek Landing and Fishing Creek is on above there off Hwy 21. If they're in there nobodies willing to tell me so I don't think they are. Fishing Creek is shallow for the most part with lots of sand bars.

Shad can be caught around the dam at Cedar Creek but it takes sometime to find them some days.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I forgot to mention that DNR came in as I was put in. They had their shock boat, nice boat too, a Dura Craft. I didn't go that far down the river but they never came down as far as I was.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Went to wateree today caught 15, 3 stripers from 2 to 10 lbs, 12 catfish from 1/2 lb to 11lbs mostly blues.Had 2 hawgs on but the lines where frayed on the rocks I'm fixin to go to braided line because I'm loosing way to many fish lately.Just like last time they were 6 boats trying to fish the same 45 foot hole I know thats where alot of the big fish are but I cant stand fishing that close to other boats so we just got out away from everybody and started driftin.We did see 1 boat catch one close to 30lbs.I have seen alot of lakes but I have never seen one with so many stripers we only kept 3 but caught alot of em that was to small at times you couldnt keep your bait out there without baby stripers getting on them.

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm hoping to go down Tuesday morning very early to see if I can find some fishys. Its not set in stone but I really want to make it down. My daughter said she was game if I was so we'll catch some bait Monday evening. I hope to get there no later than 6am and planning on leaving at High Noon.

Will anybody be down Tuesday?
    If ya are look for a green DuraCraft with "Riverratsc" down the sides.

18. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I went to Wateree yesterday with my wife and 2 dogs. Water was very high and I had no luck getting shad. I caught a couple of white perch and used those for bait. Only got one bite but it turned out to be a 23 lb blue. That's the larges fish I've ever caught.

19. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Congratulations, Jim! Did you get a pic? If so, maybe you could post it. :0a23: Were you fishing from a boat or from the bank?

20. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Thanks Patmansc. I posted a picture. My first picture posting, so hopefully I did it right.