Lake Wateree critter and fish question?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Sep 15, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

Summerville, SC
    Are there muskrat's in Lake Wateree? I have never seen a muskrat before, but this little critter looked like a giant rat that can swim really well.

Also I caught a mystery fish for the second time while getting bait. It was the same size in length as a gizzard shad, but it was a lot skinnier. It was also very oily like a shad so I am guessing its a relative, but just don't know what it is. It was all one color which was a grayish color. It may be a blueback, but its back was not blue. It was all one color. And again I have never seen a blueback in person so I wouldn't really know and it was dark so I may have not had enough light to see the blue. And it swims really fast. It took quite a few tries to get it out of the bait tub. And the only cat I caught tonight came on this guys head, not that has anything to do with anything.
  2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

South Carolina
    it could have been a herring, I will be up behind the dam this evening for a bit around 6 if you are up that way.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

Lots of muskrat in Wateree and some beaver too. Plenty of blueback herring in Wateree. I usually catch them in the spring. They make good bait for sure.
  4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

Gaffney, SC
    Muskrat and beaver both abound at Wateree like Rodger said. Might even be a otter or two in there.
  5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

South Caro
    Maybe the fish was a large shinner. I have caught them up to 1lb. Awsome bait if it was.