Lake Wateree critter and fish question?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Sep 15, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Are there muskrat's in Lake Wateree? I have never seen a muskrat before, but this little critter looked like a giant rat that can swim really well.

Also I caught a mystery fish for the second time while getting bait. It was the same size in length as a gizzard shad, but it was a lot skinnier. It was also very oily like a shad so I am guessing its a relative, but just don't know what it is. It was all one color which was a grayish color. It may be a blueback, but its back was not blue. It was all one color. And again I have never seen a blueback in person so I wouldn't really know and it was dark so I may have not had enough light to see the blue. And it swims really fast. It took quite a few tries to get it out of the bait tub. And the only cat I caught tonight came on this guys head, not that has anything to do with anything.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it could have been a herring, I will be up behind the dam this evening for a bit around 6 if you are up that way.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lots of muskrat in Wateree and some beaver too. Plenty of blueback herring in Wateree. I usually catch them in the spring. They make good bait for sure.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Muskrat and beaver both abound at Wateree like Rodger said. Might even be a otter or two in there.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Maybe the fish was a large shinner. I have caught them up to 1lb. Awsome bait if it was.