Lake Wateree Catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by matt8823, Jan 1, 2008.

1. matt8823

matt8823 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am new to this website, but I have been fishing on Lake Wateree since I was big enough to hold a fishing pole. Over the last few years my family and I have started to catch larger catfish. Our largest being 25lbs caught by my brother on a gizzard shad. I was wondering what methods y'all use to catch big cats on Wateree.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Just want to welcome you to the BOC Matt, even tho I've never fished Wateree. But there's lotsa good folks here who can help you out with all kinds of great information. Good fishin' in 2008.

3. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would say that anything will catch a cat on Wateree. Now maybe not the big ones, but whenever I have been there, I have always managed to catch a cat..; Well , atleast a "Kitty". Much luck to ya though!
    Welcome aboard:wink:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Matt, there are a few members here who fish Wateree pretty regularly, and I'm sure they will chime in when they can with some good advice.
    Welcome to the BOC!

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Matt, YOU ARE IN LUCK!!!

The BOC's very own Mudkip (Rodger Taylor) had an article about him in South Carolina Game and Fish this month and it was on fishing Lake Wateree! Pick up a copy if you can find one on the shelf.

Rodger is the bets fisherman I know of on Lake Wateree and has caught a LOT of good fish there. I can attribute ALL of my knowledge of the lake to him. He is the master of Wateree! :wink:

6. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    I normally fish the upper part of Wateree. Taylor Creek and above. I found the 2 best baits are real big nightcrawlers and fish fillets. Especially bream fillets or catfish fillets. Also small live bream off the bottom work well in the warmer months.

7. BluesFishing

BluesFishing Guest

Bass fillets and Crappie is something you might want to try.

Good Luck

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Personally I think Wateree will be a great Flathead fishery in the future-we have caught enough small flatties to fill my boat(2-4lbs)over the years.Shrimp is also an excellent bait for Wateree,if you can justify buying it to fish with!

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah, Wyliecat who is a pretty good flattie magnet pointed out some in Billfish76's cast net at the 1st bridge the other day. He will be on them before you can say BLUEGILL.:tounge_out:

I am sure Wateree is going to be a catfish destination we can all be proud of in the years to come. Wylie is not far behind as a big blue lake and has a stronger flathead population now.

10. matt8823

matt8823 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for all of the help everyone. And i read that article online the other day. Me and my father are gonna head up there this saturday, because the weather is supposed to be good.

11. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I disagree with that maybe we will see in april

12. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try this area with some fresh gizzard shad you will catch a big blue be patient

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I am sure that wyliecat is referring to Rodger as to being wateree's best as to a consistant basis,anyone can get lucky on a single day,you need to remember that,they are not there for everyone every single day,it takes time,effort and being able to recognize fish patterns to do it constantly,my money would be on rodger 8 out 10 days with just about anyone on wateree,not bashing or trying to start an argument here,just stating an opinion:wink:

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    That's Cedar Creek lol. Try here:

34 29.848 N
    80 53.049 W

Shad, crappie, striper, bream head even catfish bellies soaked in garlic sauce:tounge_out: it really don't make much diff if you find them in a bitin' mood.

15. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    hey catnip,those are my coordinates,be easy,and dont forget the purple fruit loops:wink:

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I disagree with that. I think Rodger is the best on Wateree 12 months a year!:wink:

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All of these post about Wateree has just about got me convinced to make a trip there next week while I am on long break. I am going to have to see what the fuss is all about.

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You dont have to have no gps to catch fish a good depth finder is all you need every one already knows where the rock wall is with out any cordinances every pic you take is in this area theres way more spots than that that consistantly produce nice blues and also you forgot carp and mud turtle :angry:

19. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how would you know your to busy fishing lake x laying the smak down at lake x= monticello keep your 2 cents to your self:angry:

20. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    No Jason that is not the "rock wall" but close maybe 200 yards.

You are right, no need for a fancy finder to get on big fish but it does add a dimension to fishing that makes it fun. We enjoy sharing sonar files and gps coordinates at some of our catfish club meetings. Why don't you consider coming to one. We have it this Wednesday and I would be glad to give you a ride up if you come up to Rock Hill. Maybe if you meet some of the guys in person we can get a better understanding of one another and share good fellowship. The ball is in your court:big_smile: