Lake Wateree at 378

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Pacman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone have any experience fishing the Wateree at 378? Any recommendations? I am thinking about trying it tomorrow. Lots of twist and turns in the river near there- looks good on the map.

Also, a while back I caught the cat in the photo with my ID in the gator infested waters in the borrow pit below Santee Dam trolling a deep diving bream looking ba** plug. I didn't have a scale available, it was getting dark and I had to work the next day, so I just cleaned it. Any of you experts put a weight on it?

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I don't have any experience with a boat there, but I used to bank fish there a lot when the water was up higher. I haven't done amazing (2 12#ers) but that is also not the best of spots in that river. I am a firm believer there are large fish lurking in that river if you can find them. I just don't have a boat so I have never been able to find them.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I havent been down by 378 but I have been sev. miles down past I-20 from lugoff, the river is very shallow with alot of trees in the water. from what I have seen most of the bends are fairly deep but gets real shallow after the bends. fishing is pretty good though. If you going in a boat go slow I was with a guy that has fished it for 25 yrs and we still tore a prop up.

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Went back in June and did fair. Water was down then and I have heard it is to dangerous to be on it. Can't afford a new prop so I have stayed off of it.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Any of you experts put a weight on it..."

Very nice fish in the avatar and congrats on the catch!!

Fish that size are not everywhere, and not many people have a chance to catch a fish that size in their lifetime. Once it is dead it is gone forever.

My guess 28 pounds.

6. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I decided to go ahead and try 378 this week. No problem launching, but I could only go about 1/2 mile upstream til I hit dangerously shallow water. The deepest holes I found were 8-9 foot which isn't much considering the water is so clear you can see bottom at 6 ft. Not one bite---saw only a few fish on the depth finder. This spot is off my list til spring.

The fish have gone somewhere. I keep thinking there must be a deep hole somewhere with a river full of fish. Or have they all moved to the lakes?

Is anybody catching in the rivers?

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I had a good afternoon on the pee dee and am planning on going again tommorow.