Lake Wateree and Monticello Report March 19-21

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CKT, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    3-19, we went to wateree and fished up in cedar creek with bream and perch and had no luck, moved out to the mouth of wateree creek and anchored had out 8 lines had two cat hook ups we lost one cat and the other was 22.5lbs water was 55-57 degrees was windy
    3-20 started the day at Monty and it was windy the wind finally laid and we drifted in the deep water marked tons of fish but no hookups at all seen several people on monty catfishing ! we left monty at 2:00pm and went straight to wateree caught one small blue 1 small stiper and one small channel.
    3-21 went to wateree be careful there are some big logs floating in wateree and the water was muddy the entrire time we went up in cedar creek and caught a 6lb blue cat and we moved back to wateree creek and caught 2 stripers. throught the day the wind picked up and then died again we managed to catch 2 nice crappie but they were 12ft and short lived ! hopefully things will pick up this was a very slow trip compared to last years !!! when we used herring all we could catch were stripers.

2. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    heres the pic of the 22.5lb cat and the biggest striper

Attached Files:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks for the post,wish the bite would have been better for you,did you find Neds ok?,I hope so,we will be down at wateree next friday,and hopefully sat. and sun if the bite picks up

4. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    Yeah we found neds ok . we plan on being back to wateree mon 26th -sat 31st. might see ya !

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for sharing pics...nice blue!!!...i remember reading a past post on here about monty where they were catching cats in 5 - 20 feet (i think) a week or two ago...they may have moved out of the deeper water for now...even still a bad day fishing is still better than a good day doing anything else.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice fish CKT. How is the Carolina Skiff. I am seriously considering getting the 21 DLV. How does it anchor in the wind and is it a rough ride on small lakes like Wateree and Wylie?

7. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    if its choppy on the lake its gunna beat ya but itsnot as bad as a jon boat it can be hard to anchor in the wind , it is a very roomy boat though and has good storage ! we like it and dont regret it ! if we are trying to anchor in a current or a hard place we try to get the bow into the wind or current and then drag the anchor with about 50-80 ft of rope it usually hangs and our anchor is designed to release if it hangs into a tree or on a big rock ! now you know as well as me a good day of fishing doesnt normally have alot of wind !

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You are right but every tournament I fished this year was miserable with the wind. Not days I would normally pick to fish but sometimes you just gotta go out.:big_smile: