Lake Wateree 4-25-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Apr 28, 2007.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Been on vacation here at lake wateree for the past week. My mom and dad came down for a couple of days and we took them down to cedar creek to try for the cats and striper. Wind was rough, but we finally got set up in a nice spot. After setting the rods out with half shad and half crappie filets, it wasn't long before one decided to slowly take a run. My dad was there waiting for the fish to decide he wanted the bait. Once he picked the rod up and set the hook, the rod doubled over and the fight was on. He fought the fish like a pro. I knew once he started he was at least dealing with a 25lb plus fish. After a long fight and several runs by the fish, I leaned over with the net and got a hold of the fish. We grabbed the scales and the monster weighed out at 42lbs!! That was the biggest fish my dad has ever caught and I was a very proud son standing beside him while he landed it.

Attached Files:

2. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    congrats on the good catch !

3. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Great job, that must have been fun. I've seen posts before refering to Cedar Creek at Lake Wateree......where is that? I thought Cedar Creek was a dam or two above lake wateree??

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You must be thinking about Fishing Creek which is a couple of dams up stream. Cedar Creek is at the head of Lake Wateree. There is a landing behind the dam with a creek running into Lake Wateree near the ramp. You can put in here and go all the way to the dam at Lugoff.

5. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks......I'll have to look at my map again.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I bet your dad loved that one.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great fish! Wateree has some nice fish. I am glad to see the father/son combo score down there. Memories for a lifetime! :lol:

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yea it was a blast watching my dad fight that fish. Our biggest up to that point from Wateree was 32lbs, so he blasted right past us on his second time on the boat. We've caught fish in the high teens and mid 20's from Wateree.

By the way, all the quality cats were caught on crappie filets this week, they didn't seem to want perch as much as they do on santee.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Robbie that sounds like yall had a wonderful time and you had the camera with you to get that awsome pic. Thanks for the report.

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Do you catch your own shad or is there a bait shop nearby to purchase shad?

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You're a good man Flopeye................

12. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Flopeye,i sure would like to see a pic of that 68# striper:doubt:

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the biggun! I know your dad will have a great memory of that battle.

14. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    A friend and I are thinking of coming to Wateree in the next two weeks for a little catfishing. (catch and release) Could someone give me some idea of where to fish and what to use. We normally go to North Santee river but looking for someplace closer to home.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.