Lake Wateree 3-24-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Mar 27, 2007.

1. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Headed to Wateree late friday night. Launched the boat around 1am and started looking for bait. Found a few gizzard shad near the landing(Taylors Creek). Went to the mouth of wateree creek and anchored down. About 20 minutes into my nap I hear comotion and my better half is got the rod in her hand and it's bent over double. I grabbed the net still half asleep and netted the fish. First fish was a 31lb Blue, I was thinking IT'S ON NOW!! It wasn't meant to be, that was the only large fish caught, we caught a few more in the 4 to 6lb range. Went to Singletons around mid-day to get fresh bait, Gizzard shad were stacked up in the very back,lots of 3 to 4 inch shad and a little deeper were the 6 to 7 inch. Water is still muddy and a pretty good bit of trash still floating, but still a great weekend to be on the water.
    Robbie

2. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Robbie,
    You did better than us. We fished all night Saturday night near the 50' hole where the river first comes into the lake.....and caught nothing. Several boats were fishing further up, probably near the power line, but I have not heard how they did. We were using cut gizzard shad from below the dam. Had just a few nibbles.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    If the holes don't give you any luck, then found the nearest shallow flat and fish it. right now, the blues should be in shallow water. Good luck

4. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rich,
    We tried the river some Saturday, several different spots, all we got were small nibbles there. We did here a boat right up from us that caught a estimated 30lber while we were there.

We tried some shallower water, just not in the extreme shallow like we would Santee. I'm not very familiar with wateree shallow fishing so didn't try any 2 to 6 ft range. Probably should have.