Lake Wateree 12-26-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Dec 26, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Today was a good day for learning on Lake Wateree. Man what a nasty morning . It was 44 degrees and the wind from the NE at 7. Rain was hitting my face like bb's as we made our way to our fishing hole. Started around 8am. The wind blew hard and the fish bite was poor. After a couple hours of futility and begging the big cats to bite we headed for a different section of the lake and a different technique.

Started drifting about 11am. Finally broke the ice with a eating size blue but the wind continued to blow like a banshee. It wasn't what you like to see. Frontal passage and blue bird sky. The white clouds seemed to run across the sky.

But guess what, occasionally a patch of darker clouds would come in and the wind began to lay. The fish started around noon (dinner bell rang) and we found a productive drift bite. We finished our day with a fat and sassy 26 pound blue. I was real proud of how our day turned out because it was starting to look like the zipper lips had been applied. It just goes to show that the weather in the winter can change in just a few hours and the bite can go from 0 to 60 in the same about of time. Was rewarded with a nice mess of fish and a kicker plus a sunset that looked like the sky was on fire.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks for the report rodger,what did the water level look like and had the water muddied up any from the rain,i know i came across catawba river bridge about lunch time today and she was flowing pretty muddy,we will be down about daybreak in the morning to give em a try,hopefully they will be a little hungrier earlier:wink:

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nope Marty the water was clear. I can tell you I didn't see any water release from up lake. The water around shore was stained where waves beat up some mud while the wind showed out. It settled down and got real nice around 2 pm. Like night and day. I normally expect the wind th continue to cut up when a storm front passes but it must have roared through so fast another weak front came in just in time to settle things back down.

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Is the Beaver Creek ramp behind the Marina accessable?We started to go today,but was scared we'd have to drive around looking for a place to launch.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I heard it was closed but I didn't check it out myself. Most folks are launching out of Colonel Creek. Dutchman is open I think Taylor Creek is too. Wateree Creek is open but there is some kind of obstruction on the right side ramp(as you face the water). People have been hitting their motors on it.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thnaks for the report, Rodger, for those like me that decided to stay at home. :confused2: Hope to get on the water somewhere today or tomorrow.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Come to Wateree sometime. The drift is outstanding. Fish size varies--mostly small eaters but once in a while you get surprised with a real nice fish. The fishery is definately on the upswing. It appears lots of blues have been born in Wateree the past couple years.

8. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    N I C E !!!
    Gratz

9. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks for report,that's some good info.Can't wait to get back to Wateree.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    How are you doing Rodger? I've never fished Wateree but want to give it try. Where is the best place to put in? Where can you get some live bait? Any tips on drifting the lake would be much appreciated. Thanks.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Sending you a PM now.

12. matt8823

matt8823 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am heading to Wateree right now. I will give y'all some updates after we get done fishing tonight.

13. bcgamecock

bcgamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is Colonel Creek the landing that is next to the Shaw AFB recreation site? And is the ramp at Colonel Creek still open?

14. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    no that is clearwater cove landing,colonel crrek landing is on the other side of the lake,about opposite of clearwater cove,its the first landing coming up from camden end and the last one from great falls end

15. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the info Rodger. Hope I can get a chance to try Wateree soon. Sounds like a good lake.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Anytime, just PM me. We got them redialed and hitting them again tomorrow. I LOVE this lake:smile2: