Lake Wappapello - In Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by treddinwater, Mar 12, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hey all, my dad has a buddy who just bought a cabin over at Lake Wappapello and we are thinking about meeting up with him over there for a weekend sometime in mid-late April. I'm just looking for any general fishing info on the lake, like what sort of cats are popular there and what will be biting in that lake during April. Any baits of choice for this time of year at Wappapello will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and tight lines!

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey,i've been there a few times, but never thoroughly fished it. it is the st francis river that forms the lake so i would concentrate on flatheads or channels.(st francis produced our state record flat 94lbs,however it wasnt the rod and reel record but this one was bigger anyway) i have never seen a blue come from any where on the st francis with my own eyes but have only fished it in missouri. a bit of caution, wappapello is a very very very shallow lake, let your buddy with the cabin navigate the boat. mostly the old river channel is the only place you will be able to safely navigate, so if your buddy is new to the area or still doesnt know much about the lake, i would definitely buy a topographical map to see the depths and where you can drive your boat. trust me, both times ive been there we managed to bottom out at full speed dead in the middle of the lake ,thank God for a soft bottom and low horsepower. it is definitely a scary ordeal when youre knee deep in the middle of the lake during a thunderstorm dragging your aluminum boat to safety???, i know first hand.
    good luck fishing i hope you have a better time than we did. be safe and go sloooooow.

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    about bait, i can see by your picture you know what to use for flats BIG&LIVE, but for channels i usually cant go wrong with shad guts on any body of water, dough bait or liver would be my second choice though.

once again be safe and good luck

4. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the info bro. I'm very excited to get over there, not just for the catfish, but I've read good things about the crappie too. I know all about shallow lakes, here in Indiana most of the lakes are farely shallow in a lot of places. He dosen't have a boat over there yet so we will be doing all fishing from the bank. He's only been there once and that was to purchase the cabin and while he was there he raved about the number of channles he caught just using nightcrawlers out there, but that was in July. But anyways, thanks again for the info, and if your ever planning a trip to Indiana, don't hesitate to post any questions about where your going.

5. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    3" to 4" blue gill work great for the flathead if your juggin or run a line in the ST. Francis. Gar can give you some trouble though.

6. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the info everybody. That sounds really interesting Wolfman, I can't wait to check out this lake, it's always fun to explore new waters.