Lake Wallenpaupack in the poconos

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Pigcat71, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone ever been up to the lake they call "The Pack"? Anyways its about 40 min from my house and my one pal, is nice enough to take me out weeknights on his 22 ft boat and do some nightfishing together. It is known for harbouring trophy Walleye, smallmouth, brown trout, musky, stripers and catfish. Acually their are more catfish in the lake then people realize.

Anyways we were there one night last month using livers in about 12-15 ft of water, near shore, the fishfinder was loaded with nice looking fish..so after catching a slew of 20-25 in chanells, I put my catfish pole down. I took out my smallmouth/walleye rod (6ft ml action, 6lb mono) started throwing everything but the kitchen sink in the water but nothing would hit..so I put on a hook, sinker, and a liver and tossed it out thier...

I have pulled in 25 inch chanells before with this lighter setup (just had to set the drag and tire em out)... I see my rod bend heavily, I set the hook and the fish takes off...having about 25-30 yds of line out I was left with roughly 60-70 yds of mono on the spool.....needles to say this fish was quite large..(im guessing 15-20lbs)..he ran and ran and before I knew it I had roughly 10 yds of line left on the spool...I decided to tighten the drag and attempt to fight him......I ended up getting spooled, 1st time in my life....
    The next day I swiched to braided line (most of my poles) and vowed never to use that setup for cats ever again...

Moral of the story for me= you never know whn a bigger fish is going to show up, so dont be outgunned....