Lake vs river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by old newbie, May 14, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this sight and after reading quite a few post I realize how little I remember about catfishing. I see a few names I recognize from ............ so to the rest of you hello.
    My questions is do you guys have a preferance for river or lake fishing and is the tackle the same for both and only the methods change, or do you need different gear and baits.

2. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    OOOOPS looks like a no no on my first post:sad2: What a start.

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bruce, welcome to the BOC from Texas. I use the same tackle for both. The rivers that I mainly fish are part of the Highland Lakes. I normally don't fish the main body of the lakes, I usually go up river and work my way back. I look for rock ledges and submurged trees. I do fairly well fishing the outside of bends in the lake. One of the lakes that I fish is fead by two rivers. Where those two rivers meet is a pretty good spot. I'll vary my bait some, but only if I'm not having any luck with my normal methods.

4. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC.

Personally, I prefer fishing rivers. That's how I grew up and I've just never gotten away from it. I have been reading a lot of info about lake fishing as I want to venture off in that direction as well.

I plan on using my same cat equipment on the lakes. I figure that it will work Ok. I'm sure that specific rods designed for still waters would be more effective, but I really don't think I'll have a big problem with my river stuff.

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    welcome to the BOC bruce!

Id say im about 50/50 on rivers/lakes fishing for cats... i use the same gear in both situations. the only thing i change is the sinkers.. in the river i use a heavier no roll sinker, and when im fishing a lake, ill downsize the no roll sinker, or sometimes use an egg sinker. depending on the situation, and casting distance, theres also times in a lake i wont use a sinker at all... other than that, i use the same rods,reels,line, and hooks in both.

6. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC brother!!!!! I used to fish only lakes, but then my brother-in-law turned me on to rivers, and that was it, I was reborn. Dont
    get me wrong, there is absolutly nothing wrong with fishing lakes at all, I've caught plenty of quality fish in them, but when I started fishing rivers, it seemed like the fish were stronger pound for pound and there are many more options in places to fish on the river, It's a whole deifferent animal. Now tackle is pretty much the same, exept for the wieghts that you use due to river conditions, current, structure, etc. Anyways welcome and good luck!!!!

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I prefer the rivers for bigger fish and a bigger concentration of big fish as I think bigger fish are a little more predictable on a river. But for shear numbers of eaters I far prefer to fish a lake. The way that I troll for the small eaters is far easier on a lake than in a river. On a lake I troll rock points, humps, and the holes. Mapping on the GPS are also far better on a lake and makes it easier to find the fish first time on a body of water. It is rear for me to go to a lake for the first time and not find fish, may not be good fish but I will catch them. Rivers on the other hand for me are far harder to find fish first trip, may take me several trips to figure them out. Bottom line is that if you are on the water you are in the right place. Good luck!

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Bruce. I typically use the same tackle in both lakes and rivers...for me it depends on what I'm targeting and if I'm fishing heavy cover or not. The only real difference in tackle for me in lakes and rivers is the size of weights used. Typically if I'm going to be fishing heavier current on rivers I use a 2oz or bigger weight, but in lakes you could use about a 1 1/2 oz to 2 oz weight for anything.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC! I think as far as tackle goes, and it seems that everyone else agrees, you'll find more similarities than differences. I think as a rule fish relate to structure but where you'll find that stucture will be different in lakes vs rivers. Personally I prefer to fish rivers, but I think that's mainly because rivers are easier to read from the shore, so I'm better at finding fish. Tight lines!

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Welcome! I prefer to fish lakes, but I'll fish rivers if I have a buddy & possibly a boat. I do sometimes change my rods & reels & sinkers for different setups. Bobbers or bottom fishing using pole holders or laying them on the ice cooler. Depends on my mood, I guess.:confused2:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome ...

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Bruce.

I prefer rivers but its mainly b/c I grew up fishing rivers & streams. To me they seem more dynamic...more fun...you never know what's around the next bend. Everytime you go out, the river can be different than the last time you were out there. Log jams change...or disappear completely (which seems to be the norm up here) and new one pop up and you find fish in spots that weren't so good a few weeks ago. I also prefer to catch flatheads, which in my area your best shot is in a river. I too feel like I can find fish easier on a river...but if I had grown up fishing lakes I might be saying something different now.

13. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC brotha i fish mainly rivers but here is my percentage 75% river 25% lakes:smile2::wink:

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Bruce....I use the same equipement.....same bait most of the time. I may use more shrimp in a lake.

Danny

15. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    same gear I just change weights. normaly I run a 2 oz for tight lining and a 4 oz for driftin. And make my leader a bit longer, in lakes 12 to 18 inches versus 6 to 10 on the mighty mo