Lake turning over

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MR SANDMAN 800, Oct 1, 2006.

1. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The lake just turned over here and I was just wondering how the lake turning over effects the cats. I'm new to lake fishing and used to fishing ponds. Didn't notice a big difference in the ponds when it turned over, but in the lake today I only got a couple nibbles from the bluegill...trying to catch my first flat! :lol:

2. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    alot of the time the fish will get a bad case of lockjaw for a week or two after turnover

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I agree with Hawkman , it usually gets tough when the turn over is on .

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol.im lost fellas like a big turnover.as in people working there?or as in sandy bottom being turned oveer?:crazy:

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A turn over is when the cold low or no oyxgenated water and the hot oxygenated water mix. This happens in fall. After thsi happens the thermacline that was present during the summer, is no longer around.

Some signs that a lake is turning over: Sometimes stinks. This is because the methane and sulphur trapped at the bottom are released. Fish will begin to go down to the lower depths of the lake as well. And sometimes there will be a fish kill, most likely due to the gases.

Also the turning over is a good sign that great bluecat fishing is approaching. So get ready for some nice action in the channels on your local lakes.

By the way I see your locaiton is Texas. What area/lakes do you fish?

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I think Pat Mayes Lake is turning over also we been catching a few but 2 weeks earlier we were catching like 17 on average,channel cat that is. Any one know any good tips for pat mayes lake ?

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    The fishing gets tough for me. Im looking forward to winter for some of those big blues.

8. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

I was about to ask the same thing.....Thanks Jared