Lake Trout

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    A friend of mine, who is a charter captain on the Big lakes called and wanted me to go with him Lake Trout fishing Sunday. I'm going to take him up on it. I'll let you know how I do.
    I asked him about the Salmon, and he said there isn't any. I'll have to have him explain that to me tomorrow. This guy has fished the Big Laked for years, I find it hard to believe there aren't any salmon.
    Sparky

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good luck Sparky. I hope you catch a monster.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Sparky-
    What port does he fish out of? Some places are reporting good action. I hope you guys find 'em! MMMmmmmmm grilled salmon.... a little butter, a little dill weed, OOOooooooo I'm getting hungry....
    Local reports are that cat action is heating up again on the Grand as the weather cools, can't wait to find out for myself. Water is low though.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    He slips his boat in Grind Stone City. Thats right at the tip of the thumb!
    I'll let you all know how we do.
    Has anyone heard from the RiverRat?
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,
    I know Gridstone City well. The salmon fishing out there used to be great when I was a kid but Ive heard it slowed down considerably.
    Sure hope you do well on the trout though. I know that Huron has a LOT of them.

Talk to you soon... good luck!
    Sal

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I made it home safe and sound. We left port at 6:00am, I had the first fish in the boat by 6:30am, and by 11:00am we had our limit of 14 Lake Trout, 1 Steelhead and two small Walleyes. It was a great time. The temp. was cool in the morning, but by 8:30am the shorts were on and the sweat shirts were off. The lake was beautiful, 1 ft rollers, that was it.
    You're right Sal, a few years ago we use to just hammer the Kings out of Grindstone, but the last few years they have gotten very few. Dan, the friend I went out with, said there just isn't any bait fish to keep the Kings there. Yesterday, he said he caught one small Coho, that was all.
    We spoke with six different charter captains, not one caught a King. They all give the same story, know bait fish to keep them there. Even the ones that they do catch, (which is few and far between) are small. As a matter of fact, if you catch a 10 to 12 pounder, thats a big one.
    Sparky

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Great report Sparky. Glad you got what you were after....

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Sorry, I don't know much about Lake Huron, why no bait fish? Cormorants? What kind was there before? Alewives?

Glad to hear you caught some fish, Sparky, hope they taste great too.
    Tony

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony,
    When you have a convergence of invasive species coming together nothing good can come of it.
    Lakers were just about all there was a hundred years ago. Then someone stocked smelt in the lakes and they took off. To combat the issue they stocked salmon of various species and also more and more steelies than were EVER in the great lakes. Eventually the invasive species wiped each other out...

In time Tony you will see a great collapse of an ecosystem in the great lakes. Now the Lake trout are returning to their initial numbers and Huron is resetting itself... Soon you will see Lake michigan collapse in a similar manner- 11 and 12 pounders at age 3 will be a point of historical interest and 5 to 7 pounders will be the norm. It will happen, and Im not being a conspiracy theorist or some kook... I just have heard too much and seen plenty of reports that will drive anyone with a half a brain to that end.

We really ought not to have stocked the other non-native species. We could have been fine with lakers and pinks and a few others that were here since the dawn of time OR we should have found a way to reintroduce the grayling to Lake Superior instead of bowing to the yuppie needs of yuppie fishermen who wanted a quick fix to the overpopulation of baitfish in the 50s.

SPARKY...
    Im glad you had a riot out there. Im sure youre gonna enjoy eating em all... I suggest you deep fry your lakers, as that is my favorite way to chow.

Have agreat week.
    Sal

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Everything you said is absolutly correct. When I was a kid, the beaches on the East side of the State (Lake Huron) were infested we Alewives. It stunk so bad you couldn't even go near the water. So in defense the state planted the almighty King salmon, and Coho, The Brown Trout and the Steelies came next. They cleaned out the Alewives and then the smelt. They grew hugh in that short three years. Now, there are few bait fish and they have moved on.

I did deep fry some Lake Trout they other night and it was great. Last night I broiled some Steelhead and it was wonderful.
    Got to go. You fellas have a great time this weekend. I'll be thinking of you.
    Sparky