Lake Tillery report Dec 28th

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    It was pretty nice this morning on the lake. the fish were bitting too. I went up river and caught a 10,2-15lbers and a 8lb striper. Big fish of the day was a 47lb blue. He put up a great fight. Caught on cut shad. They were running alot of water today. Good current for fishing. Might be going back out in the morning, See-ya.

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well, here's my story. I went to Tillery this morning and went up river, there was ole Tomahawk setting right were I wanted to be.........:lol: I eased on by and anchored on up a ways . Not long after I got all the rods out I had a 24 pounder, not long after that a 10 pounder, It took a while to get the next one, it went 23. Then after making a move I got one 17 lbs. and that was it for the blues. I did catch 3 channels with the biggest 12 lbs. and one dinky white cat in between the blues, also about 30 white perch on a hopkins and a 3 lb. largemouth . Not a bad day. The water temp was right at 50, and stained a little. Congrats on the 47 Tomahawk !

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I wish I lived up near tillery to help stir up the blues. Most of my local lakes hold more flats. :confused2:

4. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like the fish are bitting at tillery. Congrats to both of you ( Robert, Cmj ) on the fish. Going to badin in the moring for some stripers. Thanks for the report guys. Will let you know how i do.

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You guys had a good day. I'm going to try again Saturday. Might not be good for blues with the rain coming but I'll try stripers if the blues don't bite.
    Were you guys able to catch gizzard shad? If so, were they in the boat ramp creek or somewhere else?

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I caught gizzards and some threadfin in the boat ramp cove. They were kind of scattered . I caught the most on out towards the mouth of the cove in 19 to 22 ft. I caught all of the blues today on cut white perch.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i went today too. i pointed the boat in the wrong direction this morning. look around the lighted piers for bait before first light. i loaded the net 3 times this morning. mostly gizzards for me. as for the fish i got 12 but only had two blues that where under 10lbs ea. the rest was a mix of channels and whites. i did loose a fish later in the day that i feel sure would have went 30lbs plus. i had trouble turning the fish to start with and when she did turn the hook came right out.:sad2: i been experimenting to much.

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like y'all had a great day, wish it would have been that good for me. Went to Badin and caught lots of bait, but no cats. Caught two small stripers and loaded up on white perch, going tuesday to try Falls.

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Breambaiter the picture you have as your avatar. Is that the 43lb blue we caught several years ago up river on BAdin. Just wondering it looks like it.

10. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Well, for any of you guys that want to be closer to Tillery, I'm considering selling my lot in Twin Harbor. As soon as I get pics, I'll post them in the classified section.

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how deep of water was the fish in? i been kinda comparing other lakes with lake Norman to try to figure out where the fish are at. Below dam on lake Norman water depth is around 5-12ft deep and on down a few bends around around 20-25ft. What bait was yall using? Thanks

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    You guys are killing me with all these big fish. Here on Lake Norman we are still having to settle for 15 pounders. The big one have not started their winter feed. Tomahawk, you are tops in my book. Mac with the CCC.

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Mac I been fishing Norman here lately and i have to agree. I keep hearing about these big blues in Norman but all i get around 5-18 lbers with my biggest @ 30lb. We fished Norman last night around hicks creek hoping to get a few blues feeding under the stripers with no luck all. We was using fresh cut gizzard shad.

And also Welcome to BOC you will like it here. Glad to see more locals in our area.

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    michael i have caught fish from 15ft down to 55 ft in last two weeks at tillery. mhendricks pm a price on that place. well i fished today and lost the first three hook ups i had. the first one broke me off and the other two just came unplugged. so not the best start but ended with 17 fish and 10 where blues. had two fish in the teens for big fish. they pulled water most of the day. got plenty of bait in the cove. good day on the lake. i even got a double once all by myself with two blues. i got one of them striped things too. water temp today was 51-52 in mid day. caught fish all day long on and off.

15. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds like a great trip. was you using cut bait or live shad? looking at tillery on map it has a lot of river area. Was you catching fish up in river area or lake area. They say when there pulling water fish below dam but water depth below Norman isn't that deep until you get on down in lake where there are no current.

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    cut shad for bait. really i have caught blues from one end to the other in last two week myself. i been searching everywhere and its cost me some good fishing but im trying to get ready for the tournament at tillery in feb. blues are a hard fish to pinpoint for me. here today and gone tommorrow. tillery is more of a river than a lake too. when there is current at one end there is current a the other end too. they have pulled a good amount of water in the past two days and it has hurt some of my areas and helped other areas but over all the fishing is good right now.