Lake Tillery fishing Report

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by CMJ, Mar 9, 2006.

1. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Went this morning, caught only 4 blues, but caught another good one. This one weighed 48 lbs. He hit at about 9:30. I was achored in 37 ft of water. The water temp. was 50. He put up a good fight. I got some guys that were working on a boat house to take pictures for me , I will try to post one later.The other three were from 7 to 24 lbs. The wind blew me off of the water at about 10:15.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jeff you shouldnt bother them dock workers like that. they will never get that mans dock built now. they have already hit there finger until its blue from thinking about that big fish.....lol great job. i guess they where pulling water this morning.

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

They were pulling some water but not too strong. Hopefully the bite is starting to pick up. I don't believe I could have a job working on docks or boat houses. I would probably get fired for fishing on the job. I am going to post a picture of the 48.

Attached Files:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    not me i would quit the first time somebody pulled up and wanted me to take there picture.

5. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's good to see that someone found the big fish again. I hope to go this weekend and try my luck. Looks like we are going to have to fight the wind,
    but with the temperature on the rise it should be a good day to be on the lake any way.

6. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That wasn't a bad day then..lol. I assume you were using shad? I am hoping to go this weekend or when I can get my neighbor to go. Here that Mike???lol. Good luck.

7. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I was using shad, it was easy to get this morning at the little bridge at the swift island boat ramp, but I caught the 48 on cut white perch. I always take a rod with a hopkins little shorty and drop it straight down and jig up some white perch when I can.

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    CMJ nice fish. I see you are finding them again. Hope get up at least once next week. Hate to drive that far when it's so chancy with the wind.
    Swift Island is that the ramp there at 24/73 bridge.
    Hope your luck keeps holding.

9. CMJ

CMJ Guest

That's the ramp, you can't miss it. Good luck

10. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice fish you caught. I really like fishing those lakes on Yadkin River. Got some really good fishing there. I hope to be moving down that way in a year or so. Got to find work first, but watch out if I do. I'll be down that way on Badin on Friday the 17th through Saturday night. Maybe I can get into some big ones. Hope the water hits the 55 degree mark before long so them big flatheads will start up.

11. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    CMJ, How do you use/prepare the cut perch? I'm also interested in what type
    of hook you are using with the cut bait, J or circle hooks. Also, where are you
    placing the hook in the bait. I'm trying circle hooks for the fisrt time this year
    and I'm not sure if you hook up your bait in the same way you would with the
    J hooks.

thanks

12. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    CMJ I have a couple of questions. How do you cut/prepare the Perch you are using and I WOULD alsO like to know what type of hook you are using. The last question would be is where you hooking the cut Perch. I'm trying circle hooks this year for the 1st time and I'm not really sure if you hook the bait in the same place you would with a J hook

thanks

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I went to Tillery today. Only caught 2. A little channel and big blue. The blue was 50 lb. He hit cut shad at 8:30 am. No water running. Only had 2 bites and 2 fish. Also caught a bunch of white perch for the freezer. Plenty of bait by the bridge at Swift Island. later!!

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey payne I usally use J-hooks for baits like that. Mostly Egaleclaw widegap 4#. For circlehooks I like using Dachai 5#. I mostly just cut them in half and use the head section. I hook the bait threw the mouth. The reason is because when you set the hook I want that hook to come out of the whiteperch and into the blue. Those egale claw hooks are very good hooks. I hardly have and cats swallow my baits. Those perch also work real well in the summertime as live bait.

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates on the catch. i was down at morrow mountain park today. just messing with the family. i walked up to the dam and there was a little water coming thru. seen a couple guys fishing on the bank for bream and catfish but never seen anybody catch a fish. think i will try badin tonight and see whats going on in the dark for a change.

16. kcforejc

kcforejc New Member

State:
    NC
    Are there advanatges to fishing during the night vs the day?

17. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Nice catch Rookie 12 , Were you fishing in the same area where we talked the other week? That is a good spot. Plenty of perch there too.

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    kcforejc not to tonight!!!!! to better answer your question i think the best bite is right at dusk dark or first couple of hours of light in the mornings. i think if your after flatheads, night time is better. water temp is up to 56 degrees at badin tonight.

19. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah Jeff I was fishing in the same general area. A little further down though. He really gave me a fit even though there was little current. Caught on cut shad once again. The water temp. was around 53. About time fro live bait fishing already. i think I'll try some live shad at Badin later this week. later!!

20. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Those fish that size do pull hard Chris, I want to see what a 60 or 70 feels like. I went today , achored down for a while didn't catch a fish, ( not much current ) I pulled achors and put out my drift sock and caught 4 channels and 1 blue also 1 striper. Then the wind really got strong and sent me home.The water temp was 57, bait was still easy at the bridge.