Lake Tillery 3/31/07 with my son

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Mar 31, 2007.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    headed to tillery this morning. bait was a so-so. took a while but we got it. headed to the honey hole. didnt get many fish but got some decent ones. we got 5 cats and 1 striper. my son started the morning with a nice 12lber and then he got a 19lber. i was starting to wonder if 19lbs was his favorite number. that makes three 19lbers for him while in search of a 30lber since last year. well a rod in the back goes down and i get it because of the boat motor hazard with the fish. didnt feel all that great anyways so i reel the fish close to the boat and find out, shes not done. after a good battle around the boat motor 3 times i landed a 25lber to my surprise. things settled back down for a while and at 9.00 i see the front rod just wasnt acting right so i pick it up and start to get a feel of it but nothing there so i set it back down and walked back in the boat and turned around and it was going down. i set the hook and it felt pretty dang nice to me. i handed it to my son. get em boy! he fought that fish pretty good when i noticed another rod get hammered. i just set the hook on it and put it back in the rod holder and went for the net. son is still fighting this fish. when the fish comes up its a flathead. i netted the fish and it weighed out 29lbs. i really hoping for a 30 but that fish was a fighter. my son said im tired. i said well rest up and turn around and get that other rod right there. he caught a 4-5lb striper. while im getting pictures of his big flathead hes starts hollaring behind you....lol. i look sure enough got another one on. didnt weigh it but got a picture beside the flathead. so my son gets his first flathead and striper back to back. no current today, so thats a pretty good morning in my book with out current. we will remember this day for while.

Attached Files:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    one more picture of the blue and flathead laying together. this was the one i caught while taking pictures.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sorry i forgot to upload. one more thing. i used bigger baits to target bigger fish. you be the judge if it worked or not.

Attached Files:

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Man it is great that you took the time to take your son fishing. If we can keep them fishing then we don't have to worry about other things that will tempt them later on. Glad you and yours had a great morning catch.

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well, I took a friend from work with me and the day started pretty good, a rod went down and my friend landed a 10 pound channel, I said man you've got the state record if you want it.....:wink: We decided against that though. then another rod went down and he caught a 3 or 4 pound blue and that was it other than a white cat. All the action was going on right above us where Michael and Winston was. Just goes to show you that you can be close to the right spot but yet so far away. That was a good morning for yall, Michael, congrats to you and Winston. I'm glad we didn't do what we were talking about....:wink: My billfold would have been lighter.....:lol: Thanks for the extra shad you gave us, turns out we had plenty but you never know. Bait was tough. I think we needed something besides shad anyway....:cool2:

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds like a great trip. how old was your son when you first took him out on a boat? I cant wait till my son gets old enough to get out there with me so i can watch him catch some fish. thanks for the pics.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That is a great fishing trip!! You let him handle the rod some on a big one and he may be able to get a Jr. line class record for the state with some of those fish. He can definatley get a certificate from the the NCWRC commision.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Good to hear 'ol Winston is at it again Michael. I liked seeing him catch that one blue on Tillery this past winter. My oldest boy loves fishing. I take him out whenever I can. He loves it. He got a blue right around 20 lb. last year on Badin, but he loves perch fishing. He likes when you can catch 40-50 fish a day. He's only five so Miichael, it ain't too far away for ya'. I first ahd him out when he was 4. Take a kid fishing!!!!!!!! Can't say it enough!!

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    michael i started taking him at the age of 5-6. back then you could give him a piece of string and small hook and box goldfish crackers and he would fish all day. he would drop it in and pull it up 5 minutes later and the cracker was gone from the hook and he would well something got my bait....lol. hes 10 and is starting to get the hang of it. i told him last year at spring break from school if he would fish with me all week we would get him a 30lber. we came close last year when he caught a 18lber but we lost a giant that same week at badin that broke 30lb test. he had a few chances this fall too but he would go to sleep in the boat on me. i was letting him fight the fish with the rod in the rod holder last year but this year i just set the hook and hand him the rod. that flathead pulled a little drag on him today......lol. what im really trying to do is get where he can pull the anchors up for pops....lol. that flathead was a good test. its kind of like the first time you get to cut the grass in the yard, from then on its your job. :wink: fishing sure beats them play station for these kids. i told my son that my boat was my play station. just got to remember that its not always about the catch with kids. its spending time together that counts and teaching them what you have learned.

10. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What a day on the water. Sure beats work. Glad your son got his first flathead and striper. Ya'll are wearing em out down there. Given me the fever to make one of them 150 mile trips.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats a beutiful day on the water Michael.Theres just somethin about seein a kid fight a fish thats about as big as they are.

12. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go Michael, Thats one good day on the water.:big_smile: