Lake Tillery 3/23/07 night time

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Mar 24, 2007.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    took my son and father out to tillery this evening. started out having to work hard to get bait. finally got 30-35 shad and decided to go fishing. hit the first spot and picked up three as the sun was setting. them moved to another spot in shallower water and the bite was a lot better. we picked up 7 more fish. my son got a 19lber and my father got a 17lber. those where the two biggest fish of the night. we moved around twice more tring to find a big fish but couldnt get him. they shut the water off around 1.00am and we called it a night. had a lot of fun watching my son fight the 19 though. he kept saying "help me" but we let him fight the fish down. when he got it in the boat they was both tired....lol. we ended up with 7 blues, 1 channel and 2 white cats. not the best night but still fun and wasnt all that cold either. heres my sons picture with his 19. fish was slim. we get big boy next time.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. DLCATER

DLCATER New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Nice catch catfishrus, looks like you know how to snag them blues! Think I'll try my luck on Badin Sunday.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dennis did you make it out friday? bait was hard to come by at tillery but some folks have been having trouble at badin as well. might want to look shallow for bait. thats where we was able to get what we had. i think the fish have moved shallow as well. macs post about norman sumed up tillery as well for shallow water.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Where did you find them blues at Michael? I hit Badin on Fri. night with a friend on his pontoonn boat and we got several big channels up river. Fished Sat. until about 1 PM with only one channel cat to show for it. slow day, marked some nice fish right out from Old Whitney, but they wouldn't bite. I'm thinking they were stripers, but never hooked one. Got bait up at the dam right on the wall. find a few threadfins in Garr Creek Fri. night, but the bait is not there anymore. might hit Tillery next. What's the bait situation on Tillery. Have they went into hiding yet?

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I fished fri and caught 5 channels up river, biggest 6lbs. went back early sunday morning. bait was very hard to find. I don't know enough about dam to get that close so I stayed in gar creek. finaly found enough in cove across from BSR. droped lines about 5am, caught a 5lb channel then nothing til daybreak. I moved and caught couple more channels. very slow. for the weekend, no blues, no striper, no flattie:sad2:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys the bait was hard for me to get also. i know i was at tillery but i wasnt marking no bait like i had been down there.....no where! what bait i got was shallow 4-5 ft at the deepest. active fish have followed into shallow water. i fished up river. i marked a fair amount of fish in one area that was suspended in deeper water that i couldnt do nothing with so i moved on up and found some feeding fish. remember the blue we caught at badin in the tournament was 7-8 ft of water. i basically followed the guys at santee reports. they are catching fish shallow down there and i figured the friday night bite would be better than the saturday morning no current bite so thats why i went friday. just trying to think like a fish and most of the time my mind isnt big enough to do that.

7. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not a bad night on the lake. Glad your son got to reel in that blue. I'm sure he was excited.

8. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished thur. night, got 3 stripers, 1 chanel, and 1 26lbs flathead. Thay cut the water off at 10:30. Got bait in gar creek . It was hard to get.

9. Gram-aw

Gram-aw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go Michael. It may have been a slow night of fishing, but I am sure Winston will not remember it that way. I also think the fish have moved into shallow water. If they are catching them in shallow at santee, its time to go. Let me know when your going. I think you guys always fished the lower lake, I have always fished the upper end of the upper lake. If the fish are shallow, that is a great place to fish.

Live baiter, give me a call. I need to tell ya about my maiden trip with the new pontoon. Put in at flat creek on tuckertown and got the trailer hung on the end of the landing. IT WAS NOT GOOD, :angry: but we managed to get it out. I have taken Alli out a couple of times. We went Sat and caught a decent mess of crappie. We threw them all back, just there for the fun of catching em.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good post. Glad to see you taking some family out on the boat in the nice weather. I am sure they appreciate that more than the they would have two weeks ago!!