Lake Tillery, 2-26

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CMJ, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well , still a little slow , got two blues, two channels, and a few whites. The biggest fish was one of the channels that went 10 lbs. There was a decent current most of the time, the water temp was back up to 48 by the time I left. Still plenty of bait in the swift Island cove. I don't know if my camera works or not, its been so long since I've used it.........:lol:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks for the report Jeff, I am going big cat hunting Tuesday AM on LKN. I have a big flathead staked out and I'm going to feed him/her some lively goldfish. It has been hanging around the opening of a small cove and the bait has been passing thru there for a week. There are two nice points at the opening, which should make that bad boy/girl hang around. I had it on for a minute or two this pass Friday, but I rushed it. Will let you know tomorrow, if it finds my bait to it's liken. Mac

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hope you get him Mac, and a few more too.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I wish we had a flathead bite out here in the winter. It seems ya'll catch som bigguns out there in the winter. Good luck and let us know how you do. see ya

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey thats good news the fish are starting to bite again. I can't get out until wed. Probley going to hit badin. I figured with the water temp going up the fish would bite. Hey CMJ you might want to get your battiers charged up on your digtal camera. Those LCD battiers don't do well in the cold, they don't last long you have to recharge them. As for Mack it sounds like he has a pet up there. Thats cheating . Well it looks like we only got about a month left of winter fishing. I hope march produces some gaints. I really thought this year was going to be outstanding for big blues.

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Me too, it ain't over yet, the big ones have been playing hard to get lately though. I think there was one good week, the week I was sick...:roll_eyes: you, Michael and turfman got their mouths sore....:lol: The last part of 2006 wasn't bad either.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    We had a weird winter with hot weather and then cold weather and I think that has the fish messed up and not really able to get into a fishable pattern. The blues seemed to be pretty scattered out this winter. Hopefully March will be better. If the weather will warm up and stay stable, then the fishing will bet better. It's only got to go another 10 degrees or so until the flatheads "wake up" out here. I don't think the winter blue bite is totally over yet though. Good luck Wed. Tomahawk!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang i thought colder was better and now yal wanting it to warm up. you fellows must have a secret i dont know about....lol. my secrets been time on the water but i havent been using my secret. i really wanted to get a good one before it got warm.:tounge_out: its fixing to pick back up because i cannot keep a secret for long.:wink:

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Well, if the big boys owuld just start bitng in the cold, then that would be fine. I sure don't look farward to the idiots coming back out again though. I just know I got a couple flatheads that I owe a visit too. you would think that a 7 ft. rod and 30 lb test would be enough for a big flathead with a 50 lb leader. Well, I had two give me a lesson last year. This year, I'm using 4 lb. bass for bait and Im going to mount a fighting chair and get some 80 lb. stand up gear. That ought to show 'em.... if Tomahawk don't beat me too 'em. I still cant' get over the power of them dang fish. When youlean back on one with all your body weight and he just shakes his head and runs, you know you're in trouble and I had an inexperienced man in the boat, so I had to clear rods and everything myself. I'll get his butt this year, but hopefully I'll get a nice blue before the cold is over. :big_smile:

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Last night in my dreams I had so many pole benders that I though I had gone to catfish heaven. Well, today in the daylight I had a nightmare! I invited one of my striper buddies to come along so he could catch a real fish. I should have never done that! I got SKUNKED, the first time this winter. Marked plenty of bait and a few bottom feeders, but the best action we got were a few live baits that had been scaled. The cats (?) would pick the bait up and then let go, barely taking the slack out of the line. So, I brought my anchor equipment up to the house and put it all in the garage. I'm going back to being a drifter for the rest of the year. I hope your guys on Badin and Tillery had better luck.

11. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Mac, I've always heard to anchor when the water temp gets much below 50, but I know catfishrus and turfman have had some luck drifting in water that cold. How have you done over the years.

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, this is the first winter season that I have anchored down. Had some sucess at the right time (NCCATS tournament on LKN), but other than one or two times nothing to brag about. I have always been a drifter and have caught some mighty good fish in tournament, with that technique. A 41.25 pounder in a J&J tournament, some twenties and thirties in the NCCATS and so on. You don't catch many small fish drifting in the cold season, but you can catch some nice cats, stripers, bass and etc. drifting. The water temp. is rising on LKN, we were in areas today that were from 55 to 59 degrees. Another postive thing about going back to drifting is that the floor of my boat will not be muddy any more (white bottom boat don't like that anchor mud), plus I won't have to listen to WylieCat complain about how much my front anchor weighs. I am going to add float fishing to my normal technique. Will be using side planer boards to move the floats out away from my drag lines (Carolina rigs) and see if I can pick up some of those suspended fish like Robert does.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac you just about need a extra set of eyes when drifting with them slip corks. robert and i was at falls dam last year and i was running the trolling motor and he was working the rods. dont know how it worked out like that but it did....lol. anyway i watching the corks as robert would pick up the rod and alot of time the fish would turn loose before he could set the hook. we got a pattern going where i would tell him the cork was still down and robert was wearing them out with just two corks going. he couldnt keep them baited that day. had a lot of fun and the strange thing was we had out down rods at the same depth and never got any hits on those. i think the fish was boat sensitive or something. we had 10-15 blues that morning and missed just as many. mostly smaller fish in the 5-10lb range but still alot of fun. that was a little later in the year i believe. i bet roberts got it his note book when we caught them fish. as for the difting i love it but i have had trouble getting the hooks to stay in this year. let some nice fish get away. i talked to turfman about it and he was using cirlces and had the same problem. jeff made a good point to me about drifting that could be the problem i was having. when we anchor alot of times you will see the first tap or hit on the rod and then there is a delay before the rod goes down. i think the delay is missing and the fish dont get the bait sucked in real good before the rod goes down drifting in cold water. maybe backing the drags way off would help i dont know.....no i cant do that.:lol: anyways just a problem i was having at tillery with cold water drifting. keep us posted on how it works.

14. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Mac, with water temps 55 to 59 on Norman, I'd go for it. I still think I will anchor first thing and maybe do some slow drifting later in the morning. It all depends on the current and weather conditions. It seems to be a little slow in all the N.C. lakes right now for some reason, well the yadkin chain anyway. I got to come up with a plan in the next two weeks for badin. Omar's tied up giving seminars, Michael's working, Haven't heard from Eddie, Maybe I can get ahead of them. I still got more big guns to worry about, including you Mac.......:lol: not to mention Tomahawk, Rookie 12, and the nccats gang, maybe I need to put in some overtime on the water...:big_smile: Sounds like a good excuse to me.

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, you don't have to worry about me fishing NCCATS on Badin or any other place other than LKN. I don't travel to tournaments any more. Heck, I didn't even buy a boat trailer when I purchased my Sundance in late 2005. I am now a home boy on LKN. I am going to leave all that tournament traveling to you young fellows :lol: .

16. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    you're right to be worried there big boy!!!!! Fish beware!!!!:lol:

17. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i hope you guys have been doin well, i'm hoping to head to blewett saturday and maybe hook into a few, i've been doin pretty good down there finding schools of bait anchoring and dropping all my rods down and reeling them up a couple turns, but i might make a drift just to see what happens since you guys have been doing well at it

18. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Have you been getting blue cats Pat. Good luck if you go saturday.