Lake Thurmond (Clarks Hill)

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catlow37, Oct 26, 2009.

1. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I was just wondering if anyone fishes this lake for catfish. I am currently at the lake for two weeks and was going to bring my reels to fish but was unsure of the catfish population in the lake. Also, does anyone know of any trophy size catfish caught on the lake.

2. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes catlow37 there are plenty of catfish in Clarks Hill. It is pretty well known around my area for catfish and striper. There are alot of Big flatheads in the lake. Afriend of mine ( our own Jimmyjonny) caught 2 in the low thirties and one in the twenties when we went there for two days in the late spring/early summer. Couldn't tell you were to start looking but plenty of fish there. Good luck and let us know how you do!!!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009

3. Ricky DuBose

Ricky DuBose New Member

State:
    sc
    Try mid-lake either branch (savannah or GALR) find a school of hybirds or stripers and there will be some good flatheads under those schools. I've picked up at lest one every trip out lately. I'm out looking for the stripers and hybirds but I'll drop a few lines down deeper and pick up a good kitty 5-20 lbers. 30-40 depth range seems to be best. A little later in the year a jigging spoon will catch you a good flathead and a mess of perch,hybird and stripers under schools of bait. hope this helps

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck on the fishing there. Hope you get a new PB.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it is a excellent flathead lake for the moment, I talked to a bow fisherman at santee few weeks back that hunts that lake alot and said in the past yr his average size flattie has went from 60 lbs to about 30 lbs. said he use to could get 2 to 3 thousand lbs a week from that lake now he has 1 good trip out of 10. I just wonder how long it will be before they wake up and see what they are doing to our lakes.

6. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like he's reaped what he's sown. 1,000 lbs of fish a week? That's insane. Anyway, I thought for bowfishing you were only supposed to shoot carp, gar, and mudfish. What gives?

7. EJ Catfish

EJ Catfish New Member

State:
    n.c.
    they dont care they shoot what ever and just throw it back if they can,t keep it. i talked to one that said they where shooting red fish at the coast but where not keeping any that where out of the slot size no respect

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Wow, one person getting over a TON of catfish a week out one lake. Some people need to be beaten. Just unbelievable that people can be so stupid. It's guys like that that'll be the first to start crying and whining when there isn't any fish to "shoot":roll_eyes: What an idiot. He says himself that he used to get such and such fish and now it's way worse and he kept thousands of pounds every week....how people can be so damn blind that they can't see they are ruining a fishery is beyond me. Just plain out stupidity and ignorance.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree. Bowfishing and trotlining should be made illegal.