Lake Thunderbird...Once again!

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Old Bill, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy all,

Before it gets too cold I want to set out some jugs on Lake Thunderbird for a day or so. I have never fished Thunderbird and haven't the foggest idea where to start.

I read in a previous message about the area near Little Axe being a good area. From my map of Lake Thunderbird, it appears there is a nice size cove extending NE from the Dam and the main body of the lake with a smaller cove and then extending futher along towards Little Axe.

Is this the right area, and if so how far up the cove towards Little Axe would be best?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated,

Bill

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Will, thank you very much! That map is a great improvement over the one I have. I'll now have a much better idea about the lake's depths.

From the lack of replies that I received, I'd guess that nobody has been fishing Thunderbird...or if so, they aren't about to tell where all the catfish hang out!:smile2::roll_eyes:

Thanks again,

Bill

4. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey bill
    I DONT FISH TBIRD A LOT MYSELF BUT HAVE SEEN SOME GOOD FISH CAUGHT OVER IN HOG CREEK AREA . THIS TIME OF YEAR I WOULD TRY OVER AT PEEBLY ROAD AND PUT IN AT THAT AREA ,LOT OF SHALLOW WATER CLOSE TO DEEP WATER DROPOFFS.HOPE I HELP ...

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the information. I looked on several maps but couldn't find Hog Creek, but most likely I just missed it. And to make matters worse...I also can't find Peebly Road or Street, but I know that I've seen the dang road!

In what area of Tbird is Hog Creek? And can you also tell me where to look for Peebly?

As you might guess by now...I need a lot of help!:roll_eyes:

Bill

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Will,

I found Peebly Road without any problem. Previously I hadn't been looking far enough North on the first map I had. It only showed Peebly as being 156th St.

Well, that's my excuse for being so dumb...and I'm going to stick with it!:wink:

If all goes well I believe I will be able to go to Tbird next week and try my luck.

If I travel East on Franklin Road, will I be able to cross the North end of Tbird and go to Peebly road without any problems? Such as getting wet??:big_smile:

Thanks Will & Ralph,

Bill

8. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Franklin Road will dead end just east of Choctaw Road ( 120th ). The best route would be Hwy 9 if you are going to the Little Axe area. If you want to use the Hog Creek area facilities take Franklin to 120th, 120th south to Alameda. Alameda will dead end at the marina. Go north and you will end up at the Hog Creek campsites and ramp.

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bob, thank you very much for the directions.

A friend had told me that Franklin Road went all the way East to Peebly Road, but I was doubtful.

Thanks again,

Bill

10. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    Bill I have had decent luck running jugs in the channel around the island.The channel is south of the island and runs all the way to the dam.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Island? Island? What island???:big_smile:

Barney, I hate to show how little I know about Lake Thunderbird, but just where is the island? None of the maps I have show it.

Thanks,

Bill

12. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Here is what I found on mapquest.com

Attached Files:

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Brandon, thank you very much!

That map/photo showed the island very clearly!

I apreciate it,

Bill

14. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    No problem, Always glad to help when ever I can.