Lake Thunderbird catfish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dadoftwo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Is anyone catching anything at Thunderbird? Was thinking about checking it out this weekend. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

2. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Tunderbird is a tough lake to fish for catfish. I have tried cut shad bluegill liver shrimp and punch bait. The best bait I have found for Thunderbird is CJs shad flavor punch bait fished in Hog creek. I have caught quite a few eaters like this. I have set juglines all over Thunderbird with little to no luck. The jug lines I have baited with live shad live bluegill cut baits liver worms shrimp goldfish and anything else I could find, only caught small flatheads and channels. If your looking to catch a few to eat it's ok but if your looking for big cats I think you should go somewhere else. Just my opinion

3. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Thunderbird is a great place for cats. Try up north of the Twin Bridges in Little River area.

4. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike,
    I would like to hear more details about your catfishing near the twin bridges area. That place is high on my list for new places to try. I had a couple trotlines set about ten years ago, on Tbird, and did very well on the blues up to 40 pounds. I was using large minnows only to bait those lines. I couldn't put a line near the bank without the turtles eating all my baits. I had to run the lines out into open water. I am just looking for a new spot to catch eating size cats that is close to home. I intend to try a new spot on Draper as well.
    Chris

5. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    10gaOkie,
    Well anywhere north of the Twin Bridges I've had good luck. Mainly use cut shad and fish rib cages for bait. Let me know how the spot at Draper goes...I live in walking distance from it.

6. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

If you have a boat, Thunderbird is a really good lake for catfishing, but it gets really crowded on the weekends, the best time to fish it during the summer is on a weekday if possible. I'll tell you where I do my best catfishing is on the nortwest end of the lake. If you put in at the Denver Corner Boat Ramp, there's an island just off to the west, use your depth finder and pickup the river channel on the southwest side of the island. I'll usually fish around that channel pretty much all the way to the east bridge on alameda.

I can tell you that since mid April I've caught 6 blues that weighed 20+ with the biggest being 44lbs. fishing around that river channel. I caught all of them on rod and reel during the middle of the day. As a matter of fact I caught a 25lb blue last Thursday in the middle of the day. For some reason I do better in that lake in the daytime than I do at night. I'll use fresh shad 99% of the time. I've been catching so many this spring I haven't even needed to set out my jug lines. That channel is a good place if you want to set out juglines also, but in my experience if you run jugs at night and want to catch blues, don't even bother baiting the bottom hook. I run 3 hooks on my jugs but I just bait the top two usually at 6 ft and 12 ft. in about 16 to 20 ft of water. When I did bait all three hooks I would rarely catch a blue cat on the bottom hook usually channel cats.

7. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I would have to disagree with thunderbird not having big cats, over the last few years I've personally caught several that weighed over 40 pounds, most were caught on rod and reel during the day. I know other fishermen who have caught several in the 60# range. I've seen one weighed in at denver corner that was over 80 pounds, and one weighed in at the stella store that weighed 78 pounds.

8. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Any good bank fishing on t-bird?

9. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

The best ones aren't accessible without a boat.

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Chris, I may have misread your message about trying a new spot on Draper, but if you are talking about jug lines or trotlines....they ain't allowed on Draper or any OKC lake!:sad2::sad2:

11. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,
    Thanks for the info, yes, I know the laws about trotlining. Like I said, I was wanting to try a couple of hot spots at Draper but only with rod and reel. I haven't tried them yet. I am going to try a watershed

12. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,
    Thanks for the info, yes, I know the laws about trotlining. Like I said, I was wanting to try a couple of hot spots at Draper but only with rod and reel. I haven't tried them yet. I am going to try a watershed near Guthrie this weekend. It shouldn't be as crowded as the lakes are. I don't know when I will have the time to do any trotlining but if I do it will be at either Thunderbird or Murray.
    Chris

13. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    My information is many years old, so take it for what it is.

Between 1989 and 1993 My brother and I fished A small creek that came out of Thunderbird. The creek ran under highway 9 just east of SE120th.

We would fish the creek during the day, under the shade trees, catching Channels, Crappie and a few Largemouths.
    Just before dark we would catch a few bluegills and follow the creek to the lake for the night. The area was real shallow, but when the moon came out we could see the cats swimming around looking for food.

We never got skunked there.

I have always wanted to go back, but just never got around to it.

I hope this helps you.

14. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    you should buy your naphew a 4x4 dodge so he can get to those good spots on thunderbird!