Lake Thom-A-Lex

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by floundahman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Has anyone fished Thom-A-Lex lately? I've never fished there during the winter, but I know that some people do. I've caught some nice channel cats there in early April. I think that the water temp is about what it normally is then.

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    My wife and I went to Thom-A-Lex today and caught 14 small channel cats, all were 10-18" long. We took three home to eat. The biggest one had a 5" shad in it's stomach, the others had gorged themselves on insect larvae. All of them were fat. We caught them all on chicken livers. Nothing on minnows. It was 60 degrees and sunny. Great day!

3. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not familiar with this lake but heard the name before, what is it like?

4. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'd like to try it out one day, were you fishing from a boat or from the bank?

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Kyle, Thom-A-Lex is a beautiful lake in Midway. It was the drinking water supply at one time for Thomasville and Lexington, thus the name. There's a baitshop at the lake, a brand new playground, picnic shelters and a number of piers for fishing. It does cost $2.00/day to fish and $4.00 to put a boat on the lake. The fishing is fantastic. It's a trophy bass lake so largemouth have to be 18" to keep them, and you can only fish from sunrise to sunset, no night fishing. It's worth the $2.00.

Jim, I was fishing from the bank. I'm boatless this year. I have fished Thom-A-Lex from a boat a number of times. It covers a large area, but it's not very deep like Badin is. There aren't any blue cats and I've never caught a flathead there, but if you like channel cats it's a great lake to fish both from the shore and from a boat. There are also hybrid bass and white bass, and the crappie fishing is great too.

6. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm still pretty much boatless still, but I have a 12ft 1942 sears I'd like to get registered and use a trolling motor. But I fish for anything that bites, so think it would be a great lake.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the reply when i searched it earlier one source said it had white bass and wipers? what do you know/have heard about that? those are my favorite freshwater fish to catch along with catfish.

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Kyle I've caught white bass and hybrids while fishing for cats. Nothing of any real size though. I fish for crappie and catfish anything else I catch is accidental. I don't mind catching those white bass they fight real good.

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree, thanks for the help I might have to give that a try when I get more time :cool2: .

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Went back again today. We caught about a dozen catfish and a couple of bullheads. My little girl caught a pretty nice channel, hope to post pics soon.

11. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, another Saturday another mess of small catfish. Lots of bullheads today. Crappie fishing is very slow, water is stained. I think I'll give the little ones a break for a week or so. I'm going to try the Yadkin River this week for flatheads and bigger channels. Besides, I'd like to fish in the dark so noone can see how small the fish that I catch are:roll_eyes: .

12. Shadwrap06

Shadwrap06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have not had a chance to lately. I live pretty close to it. Might try it one day next week.

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Went out again Saturday, caught around 15 fish, all bullheads and whites no channels. The bite was late, started @ 10:00 AM. No one was catching crappie. Rain last week clouded the water pretty good. Time for another trip to the river, waiting on the flatties (and stripers).

14. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    If you get to go to the Yadkin river, let us know how you do. I'd like to try it sometime. That's what feeds into High Rock right. If the flatheads from High Rock can get up that river, now would be the time to be up there looking for 'em. Thanks

15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Chris, yes the Yadkin flows into High Rock. This time of year the flatheads start up the river along with some stripers. I'll post in the rivers section on the Yadkin thread if I get to go.

16. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Back at Thom-A-Lex today. The shad are spawning and was able to throw the castnet on them from shore. We caught a number of bullheads and the crappie were biting pretty good, nothing of any size though.