Lake thermocline

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Aug 7, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you use the therocline in your lake to catch fish

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thermocline, I use Slip Bobbers to suspend my baits and catch a lot of nice ones. Here's an example of one of my best spots, 45ft deep, and I set my bobbers 12ft deep and it works GREAT! And I don't even get a bite on the bottom!

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
  4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Just read this post and all the attached links. Talk about an eye opener. I always new it was there just never fished it the right way. I got me a brand new set of eyes now.
    Thanks all for the info.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Utilizing the thermocline as a technique takes some good electronics. You have to learn what you are looking at and how to identify it. It can be a very productive way to catch fish.

I have attached a picture of a graph showing a distinct thermocline. It is the area of black tightly clustered dots that starts around 50 feet. Above it you can clearly see fish arches, and you can even see a fish down into the thermocline. At around 22 feet you can see a straight line across the screen and this is one of our fishing lines before being lowered further.

http://www.dietermelhorn.com/gus06.jpg

We have been fishing this way on Lake Norman in NC lately and the lake is very deep in parts. The thermocline is around 45-50 feet, and you can clearly see it on the depthfinder. The fish are caught just above this area with suspended baits that are in around 35-40 feet of water.

On Sunday we were fishing in 60-90 feet of water and suspending the baits around 35-40 feet. We caught 15 blues up to around nine pounds with this technique. They key is to keep the bait above the fish, not below them.

Basically the water at the deeper levels contains little if any oxygen, but it is a lot cooler. The fish love the cooler water, but can not descend too far into the water because of the oxygen levels. Occasionally you will see a fish in the cooler water, but if you watch the arch they will come out of it fairly quickly.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    If ya know the depth of the thermocline, then cast strait out the same distance as it is deep. Let it fall, and you'll be right on the thermocline. Probably need to be a fair judge at distance to achieve this, though. Good luck.

-Red

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Thermocline is very important in a lake. I catch 99% of my blue cats suspended of the bottom way off the bottom. Since I have learned that blues spend so much time way off the bottom I never hardly get skunked any more. Also look for feeding gar. Gar love shad and kill lots of shad that is easy for blue cats to get.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres a solution to judgeing the distance you let your line out.Take a tape measure and measure from the reel 2 foot and put a piece electrical tape at the 2 foot mark.From then on you just pull your line from the reel to the 2 foot mark till you get it to the depth you want it at.You can do 1 foot increments too but it takes longer to get it down.Most 7' ugly sticks come with the first eye excactly 2 foot from the reel so you dont have to put the tape on em.