Lake Texoma report

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by capt295, May 29, 2008.

1. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    Hi, I see alot of brothers went to texoma in may. How about a report. Did anybody catchem. Im wanting to go june 6,7,8 thanks :big_smile:

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    they all seemed to be tight lipped. i am going for the first time ever on the 1st and am staying until the 8th. i hope to find some stripers and cats. i am meeting some guys from oklahoma and kansas and am hoping the guys from oklahoma know it a little.

3. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    I will be there on friday, i will give you my cell phone # if you would like to meet on the lake compare notes and shake hands. I will be staying at sheppard afb rec area up the red river arm. thanks bob

4. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    Hey guys surely someone is catfishing fishing on texoma! I dont want to know where you are fishing , just throw me a bone. Like what water depth are you catching them at, and at what time of day. How bout stripers? still biting topwaters in the early morning right now? any info would be appreciated, thanks

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey yall, i can't make it down there the rest of this year- new baby in the house! i'll tell you what has worked for me there on my trips in the past, and i grew up fishing the lake and river there. for numbers of stripers, all spring and summer has been great. i catch them on cut shad below the dam like crazy. i catch them on a carolina rig with enough weight to hold the bait down, up to 5 ounces. as long as you get in the current seams or walk your bait down to the holes in the rocks, 5 ounces is plenty. i catch a lot of blue and channel cats and the occasional flathead in the holes down to the dam. where shawnee creek comes in to the red is a great spot when the water is high. on the tx side of the creek there is a huge hole not 20 feet out, during high water it is loaded down with all kinds of fish. i use a lot of carp there too, and live bluegills i catch at eisenhower. on the lake side, i fish at hagerman wildlife refuge at pottsboro. it is a bunch of rigs on their own little islands, and the roads to them are marked with letters. roads B, C and D have been the most productive for me, especially in early spring. the water isn't deep at all so it would be a great night spot, but you can't go in there at night. right past the ranger station there's a bay, i think mullinaw creek, that has culverts going under the road in several places. you can catch all the shad you need and a bunch of crappie as well there. on the ok side at burns run, there's a point that goes out back towards the dam. the water is shallow around it and sharply drops off on the dam side. there are some great blue and channels in there. hope this helps yall some. i'll be down there again next spring for the cats' run!

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How far is Lake Texoma from Hugo, Ok.?

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    this morning i got shad and we caught a lot of stripers. the wind is terrible here today. we are at lakeview campground. we are catching bluecats on juglines when we can get out and bait them.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    hey capt. do you know how far from the hwy 70 bridge you will be. we are about 5 miles south of it by what i can figure. the cats are in 15 to 25 ft that we are catching.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey kevin it's an hour and 20 minutes from hugo to denison. i did a search on mapquest. if you were going somewhere above the lake it might be closer.

hey bobby, be sure and take some pictures please!

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks so much.

11. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    Hey Bobby glad your catchin em. I will be up the red river arm north of paw paw point. Im figuring about 35 - 40 min from you depending on the lake conditions. if it is as windy there as it is here there are probably some 3-4 footers rolling on the lake. But my boat can handle big waves very good. are you catching any big blues yet? do you have a vhf radio and if so what channel are you monitoring? Are the stripers still hitting topwater early? Or just drifting shad for them? I really appreciate the reply. Hope to get to shake your hand. And chat with you a while. Keep the reports coming. LOL

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we are catching the bigger ones drifting. we catch the most anchoring off of almost any point. we have onlyl caught a couple on artificial. shad is the bait they want. we are gonna try washita point the first time we can cross the lake. it is supposed to be really good for the bigger striper. i saw two guys catching a bunch of small mouths around noon today on a point that i was fishing for blues a few days before.