Lake Texoma report

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fishinphenom, Oct 12, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Went to lake texoma yesterday 10/12... It's been so long since I've been there I'd forgotten what the fishing was like...

Almost limited out on stripers with 5 people fishing... but it kind of felt wierd keeping the stripers.
    IMO they were so small compared to the stripers I usually see and catch.. It seemed like down at texoma most of the regulars that fish down there measure by inches as where I usually fish most people measure by pounds.. I guess its probably because of the difference in the size/quality of fish.

The average sized stripers we were catching were between 14-16 inches.. With the biggest around 26 inches and 2 others that were almost 20 inches... Had we have stayed on top of the schools of small stripers we could have easily limited out within 2 hours with the 5 of us..

At one point while we were fishing there must have been ATLEAST 25 boats around us.. So we decided to hit a few spots that my buddy knew as better spots to catch bigger fish.. which yielded the 26 inch and the other 2 over 20 inches.. the 26 inch fish weighed probably close to 4lbs..

Although we did manage to also catch some very nice crappie while fishing for stripers that were between 14 -16 inches each.

Anybody else ever fish texoma and have the same experience?

Ken

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Yeah, sometimes you get into the dinks and can't get away from them. It happens occassionally. We got on top of a school last year that was mostly overs and we had too many that were too big. We threw back most of them. It is fun when you hit a big school and are getting bit every time you put a hook in the water. But the little ones do get old after a while. And I absolutely hate it when the uninvited boats come in on us! :angry:

Where were you fishing?

3. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    On the Texas side near Cedar Mills park

4. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

I have found as a general rule, if dinks are biting, might as well go home, cause the big ones won't be.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a day catching dinks is better than being at work! :big_smile:

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    That is right across from Buncombe Creek, right? That is where we usually fish from. I've caught a lot of fish upriver from that bridge. Caught some decent catfish out of the river channel that runs through there, too.

7. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm not sure... I really don't fish texoma very often... Or even on a boat at all... I'm landlocked...=/

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The east side of the Eisenhower bridge used to be dink central. It was a great place to take new people to fish though. You could walk along the south edge of the rock dike & just murder the small stripers. If you got bored with that, you could always walk under the bridge and watch people smash their boats into the concrete pillars when they went through at the wrong spot.