Lake Tenkiller

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whitney weese, Jan 9, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Would like some info on fishing lake tenkiller. Be it still fishing or jug fishing. Would like some info on areas and bait and at what time of the year to use them.

2. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Whitney. I do most of my fishing on Tenkiller. I'm still figuring things out myself and don't always do that well, but I'll share what I know.

Winter: I haven't figured wintertime out at all yet. I can't seem to catch anything. My best guess would be to use cut bait or something stinky on the bottom in deep water. If you get sick of not catching catfish try going below the dam to the Illinois river and fishing for trout on the days they stock it ( http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/trtstok.htm )

Spring: Catfish start picking up with cut bait or worms in shallower water on the bottom. Once the trees start budding then sand bass are good in creek inlet areas on the lake. Use a roadrunner or shiny type of jig. Once you find a school of them they'll keep biting almost as soon as you dip your line in. A lot of people also troll small crankbaits and catch a lot of sandbass. I haven't personally tried this yet, but want to this year.

Other times: I basically just try different types of natural bait (perch, cut bait, worms, grasshoppers...) at different depths and see what works. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't.

I haven't tried jugging yet, but really want to. I've seen people catch some BIG catfish on Tenkiller with jugs. The people I've talked to mostly use cut perch or shad. One guy swears by perch heads. They set jugs off of windy points and put one hook/bait combo near the bottom, then another 2 or 3 up every 3-5 feet or so. Remember to check the jugs at least once per 24 hours. More often is better. Full regulations for Oklahoma juglining are here: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/statewide_regulations.htm

Like I said, I'm probably not the best person to ask since I'm still learning, but I'm happy to share what I know. If you find any good spots or good tips please let me know!

3. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Also forgot to mention, but I always see a log of jugs set out all around Chicken Creek, so that may be a good place to try jugging.