Lake Tawakoni

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tobystan_2000, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I recently purchased my first fishing boat (9/29/06) and have fished Lake Tawakoni several times. Each time we've been out we've had relatively good luck for eater sized fish. We have yet to catch anything very big yet. Mostly fish off the rock at the dam. Lake Tawakoni is known for it's wealth of the whiskered fish. I can hardly wait for spring to get back out there in good catfishing weather.

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    No need to wait for spring prime fishing time is just now starting brother. Let me know if ya want someone to meet you at the lake and fight the cold lol,maybe even catch a few fish.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    My 2 cents;
    I have not checked out Tawakoni in a while, but it is a seriously good cat lake. I'm guessing it is now around 12 feet low. For blues: If you can find standing timber in no more than 6 feet of water with the wind blowing into the shallows, I'd recommend being there when the sun comes up with some fresh bait on your hook. Or maybe a creek channel main lake point with structure/timber.
    Water temps are not that low yet although we have a serious front that is suppose to be here Thursday. If the water temps stay above 50 degree, I'd stay shallow in the early morning, maybe drift or fish the rocks late morning or afternoon.

4. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, the lake is really low. There are only two ramps available to put in. The first is at the State Park, but as big as Tawakoni is, my little aluminum boat and 40 horse mariner won't get me to the dam very quick. So, I've been putting in at Holiday Marina and dodging the pipes from the old marina that they still haven't had pulled. I usually get stuck just after backing the boat off the trailer in the mud that's accumulated. I'm sure it would be much easier if I had power trim on the motor. Oh well, maybe by next year.

I took my son, and two nephews camping out at the state park at the end of September for four days just after purchasing the boat. My brother and I set up camp while the kids were still in school. We walked quite a ways to get to the water because it's so low. When we got down into the cover we could see across the water a couple of, what must have been, 30-40 pound blues. We saw tails and splashing. So, we hight tailed it around the end of the cover wondering what in the heck was going on. When we got there we discovered that they were someone's fish tied up with a dog leash and staked out with re-bar. They were huge. Sure got us excited to be there. Hopefully it won't be long until we hook something like that.

About finding shallow water standing timber, it'll be tought to find until I figure out what's up with my fishfinder. I think I probably have the transducer installed incorrectly. So, when I get back to the boat in a few weeks I'll be re-installing and closely reading the instruction which I should have done in the first place. Oh well, I'm still learning. But, once it's up and going, I'll darn sure be scouting Lake Tawakoni. I'm ready for some action.

Thanks for the replies guys and happy fishing.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Sounds good tobystan. One thing, you mentioned using the fishfinder in regards to fishing "standing timber" ... I'm assuming that means using it for checking the depth, making sure you don't hit bottom. If that is the case, good idea indeed.
    But just be sure we don't have a misunderstanding, when I say "standing timber" you will not need the fishfinder to find the standing timber or the fish in shallow water. By shallow water, I mean less than 6 feet, by standing timber I mean trees, stumps, limbs sticking up out of the water. Take a look at the background of my avatar, also notice the date (cold day ... caught that fish in 3 foot of water). I realize when a lake is really low, this area of the lake may be dry. Then the fish finder will almost be required to locate them.
    If you have standing timber with water, water temp above 50 or so degrees, that's where I'd be early in the morning. Look for "pockets" or openings in the timber, just big enough to tie up on one side of the opening and cast to the opposite edges. If you have a decent lake map, mark, circle, and remember the under water creek channels that run through the timber. You'll be able to actually see "lanes" through the timber when you find one on the water. You'll be able to idle through the timber, staying on top of the creek channel. This will help save your boat, prop from hitting under water timber.
    Hint: if you locate one of those "pockets" I mentioned above that is next to one of these creek channels .. GOLD! This is a spot where not only numbers of cats can be caught, but the hogs as well. Idle to the "backside" of the pocket and cast back toward the creek channel area. Not into the channel, but next to the trees and stumps sticking out of the water near the channel. If you do this with some fairly fresh shad on the hook ... hang on. By the way, starting in the spring all the way through the fall, this is how I fish for blues about 90% when standing timber is available in lake.
    This front that is coming looks like it may linger for 4 days or more ... this may drop the water temp to a point that drifting is more productive. But this is Texas, give it a week or so, it will warm back up. Hope this helps.

6. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the tidbits!!

Yes, I was talking about using the fishfinder to determine depth.

How do you drift? Do you simply drift with the wind, or do you actuall troll?

Thanks a million Fishbrew! I really appreciate it.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Jason you are really giving some helpful advice and i appreciate all your tips keep em coming.