Lake Tawakoni blue catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ewilson, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ewilson

ewilson New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm new to this forum but I have been on the tff for years. I fish for stripers april through october but after that I love fishing for blues. I'm always looking for new techniques to help me with my fishing and I am always glad to share any info I have on fishing Tawakoni. I get to fish the lake about every other weekend. Anybody else here fish Tawakoni?

2. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    Not me, but I sure want to.

3. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    i fish it at least every other weekend. would love to trade a FEW secrets. PM ME.

4. jwillie

jwillie New Member

State:
    texas
    i fish tawakoni 3 time aweek if wind is o.k. I fish for cats only drifting and tie to trees biggist blue 58#

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I dont fish Tawakoni, but am planning a weeks camping trip and maybe a guided catfishin trip on Tawakoni this summer. I would like to know a lil somethin somethin before I get there.

6. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Erich,
    Welcome to the BOC. You'll find a lot of good folks and some great information on this site.

7. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    i live in abilene tx... i had rather fish there than anywhere. best blue lake in the country. i flop the trees where the comorants are.

8. ewilson

ewilson New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the warm welcome Bobby, and to everyone else for responding. Txthumper give me a shout when you come up to Tawakoni, if it's summertime I will probably be on the stripers but I would be glad to take you striper fishing if you want to go.
    Jwillie, I wish I could get on the lake as often as you do. It's nice to know someone who is able to keep a pulse on what the fish are doing.
    Fatfreddie thanks for offering some of your expertise on Tawakoni blues, I have learned that fishing is a lifelong learning experience and we each have had different experiences that lead us to fish the way we do.
    I do have a question about the blues spawning on Tawakoni though. They seem to start the spawn in February and I can catch quality fish in 3 to 5 feet of water starting late January to mid or late March. At the same time I can go up near the dam area and catch as many quality fish in 45 to 60 feet of water. This makes me think that some of the big blues spawn on the rocks of the dam and at the same time a large group spawns in the shallows on the north end of the lake. What do you guys think?

9. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    I FISHED TAWOKANI ABOUT 40 YEARS AGO WITH MY DAD AND HIS BUDDIES. BACK THEN WE WERE AFTER CRAPPIE- NO LIMIT AND HUGE FISH.MY SON WENT TO CATCH BLUES LAST WINTER . HE LIVES ON LAKE FORK. ANYWAY HE WAS COMING IN BECAUSE OF WIND.THERE WAS A MAN PULLED UP TO LAUNCH.HE WAS GOING AFTER BLUES .MY SON STARTED GIVING HIM TIPS AND OFFERED TO HOLD HIS BOAT WHILE HE PARKED HIS TRUCK.THE GUY KINDA LAUGHED AND POINTED TO THE SIDE OF HIS FANCY BOAT. ITTURNED OUT ;HE WAS THE TOURNAMENT CATFISH CHAMPION FOR THE LAST COUPLE YEARS. HE GAVE MY SON A VIDEO OF HIMSELF AND HIS FISHING BUDDY LARRY KING .PUNCH BAIT MAKER.MY SON WAS USING SHAD BUT THAT GUY SAID THEY ONLY USE THE PUNCH BAITTHAT LARRY MAKES.ON THE VIDEO THEY CAUGHT ALOT OF BLUES.THIS ALL HAPPENED ON TAWAKONI BUT IT WAS 2 YEARS AGO INSTEAD OF LAST YEAR. I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY MY SON TRYING TO GIVE ADVICE TO THE PRO . WE ARE GOING THERE AGAIN THIS SPRING. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

10. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    North Texas Trophy Cats (www.northtexastrophycats.com) is having a tournament on Tawakoni Feb 9, 2008. Should be a good un. Don't have to be a member to fish it. Chck out the website for info & rules. Bank fisherman welcome also.

11. clewis351

clewis351 New Member

State:
    texas
    i camped on the lake many years back and had a crappie fest

12. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    just a quick line to get names in the right order in my earlier post.the guys name was larry spillers that my son met at tawakoni and his buddy was danny king. sorry not paying attention as i typed. good luck to all!: