Lake Tawakoni 3/22

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cathog, Mar 24, 2009.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    We went out to Tawakoni on Sunday to try and get on some big blues. Shad were really easy to catch at the 2 mile bridge right before daylight. About 5 throws of the net produced about 21, 6 to 8" gizzard shad. As soon as it was light enough we went to fish in our first spot. About 10 minutes after getting set up, Clay, my 11 year old hooks into what looks to be a really big fish. After getting it in the boat and weighing it, it was 29.8, so we called it a 30. The fish came out of 2.2 feet of water. It had a huge head and was about 40" long or better, very strange looking. I will attach pics of the fish to the thread. The rest of the day produced 20 more fish with nothing over 10 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    wow, that is a strange looking fish.
    All head and no body. That is prob really old fish at the end of its life, or it is just sick.
    Good job, I will have to hit up Tawak sometime. That lake has been really producing some monsters and I want to hook up with a few before the whole world is there tryig to catch them.

You can always tell how the day is gonna turn out by how easy/hard it is to catch bait. If you have to throw for hrs to get a hand full of shad, it usually is a crappy day.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    James come on up anytime. The consistent big blue bite will not last a whole lot longer, but next November it will be on again all the way through March. Right now the drift fishing is not as good as tying up on the spawning hotspots and highways to the spawning hotspots. You can still catch big blues just not as many as you catch through the cold months.

4. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    Way to get the little guy on a big fish. I was there a couple weeks back and caught some good ones mixed in with mostly eaters (16-26") in the shallow water (3').

5. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Wow Clay nice catch there!!! what a strange lookin blue, sounds like you and your dad had a great day on the lake!!! Glad the wind was under 30mh lol I would like to come down there again and give it another try!!

TC
    Cass

6. catkid

catkid New Member

State:
    Lone Oak, Texas
    This was the weirdest looking blue I have ever caught. It looked like a 50 pounder before we got it out of the water.

7. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Cathog well I was going to look you up when I got into town this summer, however I think your son is in the running and I think I'll have to give him the call.LOL. Great catch clay weird but great, keep up the good work fella.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    are you catching many channels or do you fish mainly for the big blues? i am trying to work in a trip there in may and if it turns out ok i am going there for the july tournament on tawakoni.

9. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Not catching many channels yet, but in May and June, you can catch as many as you want. The fastest Clay and I have gotten our limit of eating size channels and blues on Tawakoni was 47 minutes. That was last September. The bite in May is great and will last through October. I will target the big blues for another couple of weeks, and then move on to the smaller fish until next November.

10. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I want to try fishing there soon. But first I have to get my wife back on her feet so she can take care of herself. I am hoping that is soon while the good fishing is still on. I don't live to far from the lake. I am over near Commerce TX.

How is the lake level there. Lake Cooper is low and if we don't get any real rain I won't be fishing there this summer.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i fished tawakoni for the 1st time yesterday. we could not go to far due to the wind. i caught a few blues and 2 channels. it was hard getting shad. i plan on going back in a few weeks and taking my boat so the wind will not be a factor.

12. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Lake level at Tawakoni is about 4 foot low right now, but it is still fishable. As long as it doesn't get as low as it was about 5 or 6 years ago it shoul be alright.