Lake Taneycomo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jctiger, Oct 10, 2009.

1. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I am going to Lake Taneycomo Oct-16-18 with some friends.I think there
    mostly interested trout.I want to catch some catfish and maybe some big bass.Anyone have any advice? I never been their before.We have a boat and will be staying at the 4 Bears Motel...........Thanks guys :big_smile:

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well if you are fishing with your friends then I would say fish for Trout. The water is to cold I would say for cats and bass. Might be able to get a smallmouth or something though.

3. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Oh man.I never trout fished before,guess I will take my crappie outfit and use it for trout.:embarassed:

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you can fish down there with 3 lines I surely would throw one out with catfish bait. Try some shad or shrimp. I'm sure there is a few cats there, probably blues which like cold water. For trout use an ultra light with a slip bobber and a small hook size 8 or 10. Marshmallow with nightcrawler or try some power bait. The water will be cold enough that you can pretty much keep your beverages in your fish basket. Don't use a stringer that kills them. Try the local bait shops and see if they have a hook remover that you hold like a gun. let the fish dangle pull the loop on the hook remover on to the line and push against the hook and pull the trigger. This works great for when fish swallow small hooks. Trout are very fragle and if you plan on waiting a while to clean them it is best to keep them alive or throw them in the cooler on ice. Beware of the length limits on rainbows vs brook,browns. Keep the skin on until you leave the lake so the game warden can see which type of fish it is or else you might have an expensive problem.

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Jeff I live 30 miles from there but I'm not a trout fan until it gets to be late January or so and we go downthere and catch the inlaws a bunch of trout and get a fishing fix.
    First of all there are bass and a few cats in there, the water never gets above 55 degrees so that's the deal, the bass spawn in July there:eek:oooh:
    The warmest water in Forsythe which is the beginning of Bull Shoals, there is a boat launch there, very nice one, this is where we go in the winter to bank fish, I'm a boater but not for trout, you catch them just like catfish, bottom fishing, not any of the other stuff you hear about, I'm telling you how the locals do it and go home with their limit.:wink:
    There is a fishing dock there, go to the left of the dock abouthalf way to the end of the point there and set up shop.use a slip sinker rig with a swivel, your sinker is the key, you need a long cast, NO SHORT ONES, that's the key and where you are fishing, I've put you on a spot with a long cast that'll fill your limits.
    Also, all you need for bait is 2 jars of power bait, chartruse glitter and orange, your hook doesnot need to be tiny, trout have very big mouths, your hook size needs to be large enoughto hold 3 pieces of bait, chart.-orange-chart. and cast it way the hell out there, set up your rods so a fter it sinks you have some slack in your line VERY IMPORTANT-- when they pick it up they feel nothing or they WILL spit it out-- with the slack you see the bite and pick it up and wait for the next pickup or stick the fish that still has it. JUST LIKE CATTIE FISHING ON THE BANK:smile2:

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The way you rig up is the way I usually do it but if he is fishing from a boat I'd highly recommend a slip float rig in deep water. That is what worked the best for me the last time I was down there and I was fishing from a boat. The trout were suspended. But yes for bank fishing I'd use nothing smaller than a 1 oz egg sinker. I've heard a lot of people down there say that 1 oz is way to big but when the water starts moving you need a big weight.

7. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Wow,thats some great information guys,Im actually getting excited about going now:big_smile:.Thanks for the great tips.