Lake Taneycomo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know if there are blue catfish in Lake Taneycomo? I have a few buddies going down there trout fishing and I am not a big fan of trout fishing, so I figured I would see if Taneycomo had catfish, so I could fish for something else. Thanks for the response in advance!

2. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Yes, there is catfish. I've never seen one caught though. I would guess that catfishing would need to happen in the summertime down from the dam where the water can warm up. I doubt you'll have much luck fishing for trout and catfish at the same time.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If they run any water you can catch eater size channels below the dam. Never saw any big ones caught there. But again I don't go down there to often.

4. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Are you talking about the tablerock dam, or the dam on down the lake by bull shoals?

5. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    if you're going trout fishing, you'll most likely be fishing below tablerock dam, whether it be at the fishery release or on down around the resort areas. That's where I fish when I go there for trout. I don't know that I would try catfishing in that water, although you never know...

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If they are running a lot of water you just never know. Dad said last summer when they ran so much water, there were a lot of nice catfish swimming up near Tablerock dam along with carp, trout, even spoonbill.

If you don't believe me, here's a paddlefish a guy accidently snagged while stripping streamers at night up in the trophy area by the hatchery outlets. I'm assuming it came through the flood gates and lived to tell the other fish about it.

Here's the pic.

Attached Files:

7. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard people saying you can catch cats on down stream, we always stay at Lake Taneycomo resort, I am talking on down the lake from that, the opposite direction from the tablerock dam.

8. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Best of luck. Keep us posted. Maybe I'll take a try next time down.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I used to go down ther up to 3 times per year. The problem with Taneycomo is that it feeds from the bottom of table rock which is very deep. Since it is so deep the sunlight doesn't get down there to warm up the water so it's always about 50 degrees. I usually went to Rockaway Beach to fish from the dock there and I have seen a few small cats bullheads and even a yellow cat. I also saw a long nose gar there one time. If you want catfish look for creeks that dump in to the lake. If you venture down to "olde Forsythe" try the area where swan creek dumps in to Bull Shoals. This time of year is white bass heaven there. The annual white bass run takes place there in late march early april. I would also recomend trying table rock too.

10. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt the further downstream you go the better off your going to be. I would also recomend Tabke Rock.

11. dknutson

dknutson New Member

State:
    Branson, MO
    i have lived on taneycommo about a half a mile from the dam on the bull shouls side for the past 12 yrs and have seen a couple of people get some really huge blues on jug lines right around my house but when people do get them they are usally really big but most people dont fish for anything other then trout

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'm just wondering how much of the stocked trout end up being eaten by the catfish there.

13. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Fine with me! Feed the cats. Faten them up! Turn them into baby makers... fuel the fire!:big_smile: