lake summit

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by old newbie, May 19, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I see a few guys from Muncie on here do you know how summit is for cats? I've only heard about bass. gills and crappie there. Planning on meeting some friends from Indy there for a weekend campout this summer,is it worth putting anything on the bottom?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never been there personally, but I've heard there are some big channel cats in there...not sure about flatheads though. I do know that the Big Blue River comes out of Summit and I fish that down in Shelby County and know there are some big cats both channels and flatheads in there.

3. Jetdoc

Jetdoc New Member

State:
    Mooresville Indiana
    Someone showed me some pictures of some nice sized channel and blue cats he caught while ice-fishing targeting walleyes. So they are in there even though I blanked when I tried for them one time in Summit.

4. scootyb

scootyb New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have caught some small channels at Summit but last year I caught a 10lb. cat by the timber at the east ramp. I had out two chuncks of cut bait but it took a peice of sponge soaked in Sonny's original dip bait. I was really surprised to catch a big channel on that. I mix it with olive oil and molasses.

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have heard of some nice cats coming out there but most people fish there for bass and panfish. This lake gets a tremendous amout of pressure on it. Several bass tourneys during the week and weekends. The boat traffic is awful at times. The worst time I had there was during holliday weekend. I shoudnt have went and wished I didnt. The place was packed and it took me around 30 minutes before I could get my boat out and on the trailer. Night time fishing would be your best bet. Hope this helps.

6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have not caught allot of fish up there but generally what you will catch will be between 8-20 pounds. Bobber fish the points of the weed beds near deep water if it is after the spawn. When you do get one it will be a dandy.