Lake sturgeon education

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Aug 18, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am not quallified for this so anyone with a good photo and input please put it on here
    I have encountered these fish twice this year and I know there is some very heavy conservation on them....they are a protected species and you should release them immeadiatly after catching because they die real easiley.
    Our gathereing here in Keokuk my buddy caught a 17lber and I got my first real look at one I was also questioned by our local dnr officer witch is a very cool dnr officer in my book bout it all and give me a little education on them ....his concern showed!
    well yesterday couple guys I know caught a 35 lber(didnt know what it was) and showed me so I informed them get it in the water and told them what I know about them.....what bothers me the most is lack of education and if you dont realy know .... your gonna get burned up on it....the fines and penalties can turn a good day into a bad one ...I think there needs to be some educating and this is the best place to learn so anyone wants to help out here with a good photo etc please chime in these fish are awsome-very strong and fight like you have never dreamed of..they are endangered and I personaley care about our fisherey & the welfare of my fellow boater/fishermen & women.I dont want to see anyone out there get stuffed cause they dont know...if you are in doubt throw it back in dont take no chances most our conservation officers dont want to ruin your day-I know ours dont hes a good down to earth guy diong his job ..I wish I knew more so I could eleborate more on the issue but I am far from educated here I am just seein this from a laymens piont of veiw!Thought I need to say something !

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I had a couple of guys ask me how to clean a sturgeon one time. I told them that at least one and maybe 2 species are on the ESL and they probably wanted to turn it loose. Not sure if they did or not, but I did let them know it'd be the most expensive fish dinner they'd ever have if it was an endangered one and they got caught with it:wink:

Good thread, Kenny!

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the help here Brandon-I only know of lake sturgeon & shovel nose so I am gonna have to further my education here

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    anyone even read this(LOL)

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If ya havent you should its a very good read!:cool2:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here is a picture of a lake sturgeon I caught earlier this year on the Mississippi. It was one of the hardest fighting fish I have had the pleasure of catching and releasing. I am 6'3" and 365 to give you an idea of how big it really was!

[​IMG]

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very nice and thank you for the exelent view there-THROW IT BACK:wink:I do agree they are awsome!

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the bump! I hadn't seen it.

besides the missippi river, another place where they were in abundance was the great lakes. Lake erie had so many there were considered rough fish and thrown on fields to fertilize them...

Unfortunately sturgeon are very slow-growing fish and couldn't recover. There is sturgeon in lake Erie BUT not many... Unfortunately, It will take many lifetimes to restore the sturgeon in the great lakes, and perhaps thats only if we can better control invasive species.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here's one I caught last year around this time. I was by myself therefore no pics of me holding it.:sad2: This was the toughest fish I ever caught and will take a while to top it.

You may also want to see this thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70818

Attached Files:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey Dave thanks fer postin...good veiws and real pics very nice!