Lake strategy, help needed

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Scott Daw, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now I have a question, a new spot I’ve been trying is a fishing pier jutting into the lake. The original stream bed runs close by. On the upstream side it has a quick, deep descent while on the other side, its more of a shallow bay. The tip of the pier which is the only spot I tried is real rocky and you snag up a lot. This area is chock full of crawfish which Im positive dragged half of my livers under rocks resulting in break offs. The current is strong on the tip. If I use a float it doesn’t take long to be swept along shore on the shallow side. If I use heavy weights, I snag 7 break off a lot. What can I do? How would you fish this pier?

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally I would try everywhere. Don't think that only the end will be good. At night try those shallows close to the bank. If you think about it the crawdaddys would be hard to catch in the deeper water. All they have to do is shoot under a rock. But if one got closer to the bank it would be easier for the fish to run him down. Also under the pier is likely a good spot. Fish will cruise around those pillars. On the back side probably, out of the current. And if crawdaddys are already in the area use them for bait. That's what their used to eating anyway. Oh and one more thing. If you have access to this pier a lot, chum it up. Then you'll know where they'll be. Hope this helps.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I was fishing the tip of the rock pier since all the other spots were full. I filled a spot after someone was just leaving. I havent been back since to try the flats.

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Terry's right. If there's that many crawdads around, try using them. Get a butterfly net, a headlamp and a stick. Spot 'em with the light. Slide the net in behind 'em and scare 'em into the net with your stick. Smash thier big pincers with pliers, hook 'em through the tail from the underside. Float 'em right above bottom or tight line 'em.

5. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    if you are having a lot of problems snagging up everytime and bobber fishing is out of question, then you could tie your weight on with some 6-12lb. test with your leader and line being 15lbs or more. That way when you do get snagged you can break off your weight and keep your rig. You could also put a float in between your weight and hook in order to keep your leader out of the rocks. it's worth a try.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I saw someone rig a slip bobber yesterday not sure how he did it but that thing didnt even move an inch from where it landed. Maybe he used a heavier weight to hold it in place. I know when i do this it winds up coming back to shore just like the problem you having in a similiar place as yours.:eek:oooh:

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well if it was daylight Id fish the channel using just enough split shot to keep line down. Now if it was nightime Id be in shallows using one of those pesky crawdads for bait. If I am fishn somewhere rocky I use a 3 way and rig my weight of one end using 2 pound test if i get hung up it snapps the weight side and I dont loose a 3 or 4 dollar hook!!:tounge_out:

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'd try a wieghted slipfloat rigged to drift about a foot off the bottom and cast it upcurrent and let it drift back towards me. as it come drifting back keep an eye on it it'll drift into an eddy sooner or later and thats where you'll find the catfish. if that dropoff is a current break thats where they'll be also.

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    a modified slip rig would work well. you will still lose some lead but you usually wont lose the whole rig. after you tie your leader, tie it to your swivel, before you tie your mainline to the swivel, slide another swivel onto your mainline. this will be for your dropper line to your weight. this should be about half the test size of your mainline. also, what i like to do is insert a 3 inch peg float on my leader about 4 inches from the hook. this serves 2 purposes. first, it will float your hook off bottom so it were it is less likely to get snagged, making it easier for cats to get too, and second if you sinker does hang and you have to break it off, your rig will float to the top of the water where it can be safely retreived. hope this helped.

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Lots of options. But for starters, I would utilize a 3-way swivel and either use splitshot on the dropper line (so they can slide off if snagged) or use a mono that is at least 1/2 the breakstrength of the main line (the mono to your weight).

Also Scott Daw, from one catfisherman to another, I think that bunny in your signature that your trying to give world domination, is bringing you some serious bad luck. The girls might think it's cute, but in a world full of hardcore anglers, my advice would be to find another image that would better suit WORLD DOMINATION. If you like the image below, feel free to use it. It is sure to increase your fish catching mojo:

" (@)' (@)"""''"**|(@)(@) ***** ''(@)

THE CATFISH1 FISH PLANTING TRUCK HAS ARRIVED!

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

What bunny?? lol my niece wanted me to try it.

12. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    If you are fishing with the over grown version of a carolina rig like most of us do then try this......... First of all I know it was mentioned before but definately use a bobber between between your hook and swivel! It'll keep your bait just off the bottom!! 2nd....... If your weight is gettin caught in those rocks try a whiffle ball!! I know what ur sayin ??????????????????????
    Cut a slit half way around a whiffle ball and slide your weight into it w/ your line passing through either end!! I dont know how well this method works but i read it in one of my fishing books!! That whiffle ball is so big that its almost impossible to get between those hard points in the rocks!! Also its supposed to be a very effective way to drift w/ out snagging in brush and rocks!! Hope this helps and best of luck to you!!

13. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    Net those crawdads use them for bait, ill fish the deep drop off wit the crawfish and float one on the shallow side at nightfall, you'll sure to land some cats then

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

It might sound silly but that actually makes sense. has anyone else tried it here?

15. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    The wiffleball ideas does work you can pick up some at wallymart but dont be stingy and pickup the small ones as they will fit into every med size hole underwater. Go with the baseball size ones. They look funny but you'll keep your rigs. I have use these method for years while drifting the bad for halibut in CA.
    Also you can use the chum (grounded fish pellets in cheese cloth) inside the ball along with a heavy weight tie to something. Just give it a good tug and next thing you know you have created a fishing frenzy. In your case put a heavy weight and tossit upstream it will bounce around a bit and when its roughly where your at bring it in and toss it again,
    Since I been here in Tx I have used it when Im targeting blugill or perch and it works great along with a sabiki rig, I just minimize to 3 hooks as they are small and get into everything especially your leg while fishing of of a kayak