Lake/Still Water Vs. River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by photocat, Jul 5, 2007.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ok, I know where to look in a flowing water situation for flatheads, but what about a lake? will they hide out in the same situations or will they go find other types of structure to use as ambush spots?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My experience with flatheads have come on lakes, and I believe fishing for them on lakes to different than rivers. I am no expert, but the flatheads I have caught have not come from the typical log jams, stump fields, blow downs, and brush piles that articles on flatheads talk about.

All of the fish I have caught have been caught near significant changes in underwater structure. Steep drop-offs seem to be the ticket.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    deep water off of points seems to be were we catch em on trotlines...either that or in coves

4. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i catch most of my flatties either on major depth changes or flats with signifaince cover. tbut then also where all the crappie fishermen are catch crappie from aroundbrush piles mainly it depends on time of yr on the lake i fish

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Follow the bait, fish flats, find the lake channel. In 5 feet of water a 1 foot channel (6 feet) is a natural roadway.