lake springfield or sangamon river

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by slider, Jan 16, 2006.

1. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    just got to springfield just curious if anybody fishes the sangamon river or lake springfield?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    The Sangamon river record for flatheads is 49.67 pounds I believe. We consistently catch them 30+ pounds in certain areas of the sangamon. I would definitely give the river a try if you are anywhere near some good looking water. I could tell ya' where some is but......................

3. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Slider, Lake Springfield is a good cat lake for both channels and flats. This time of year I would fish close to the hot water discharge if possible. There also have been some blues introduced in this lake, I didn't believe the rumors at first untill I saw a 15#er with my own eyes.

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    thanks for the info ive got a boat with all the bells and wistles just used to fishing the mighty miss from saverton to winfield never fished a lake for big cats so ill have to give the warm water discharge a try thanks again

5. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    you might also try Lake Sangchris, which is just southeast of town (about 10 miles). it's also a power plant lake with a good population of channels, and some big flatheads.