Lake Springfield Fishers..

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Duckpoor, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Morning and evening as I drive By I see some serious Cat Chasers juding by the amount of time they invest and the generous proportions of the Equipement..
    Heavy I-A Duty spinning rods at least 7-8 ft long and reels that could winch a pick-up..
    Kills me driving by on the way to work or home to the Grass that won't quit... Even get to see one of the Rods Bowed up now and then.

So someone tell me a story .. I know ur putting in the time and Ya just have to be catching a few..

Entertain an Ole guy.. :smile2::wink::smile2: Tell me a Fish Story!!

R Green

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I haven't been out to Lake Springfield yet this year, but your welcome on my boat anytime you can get away from the chores....

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Decided to try some Channels out at Lake Springfield Today.....

Hit a nice little Honey hole cove I know of.. Usually shad pretty easy to come by, but I guess the high water has em out farther ??? ... Did catch a BUNCH of shiners... After about 45 minutes of throwing, Finally had around 6 Shad as well.... Decided to try one more throw, and my net got snagged up (of course)....

I figured it was around 3-4' deep where it was snagged... Popped of my shoes and waded in.. By the time I got my net back, I broke one main line and ripped the net at the end along one side.. pfft....

Baited up and threw out. Had a Shiner on bottom and a nice lively shad floating under a KatBobber...
    Decided while I was waiting, may as well work on mending my net... Was working my way along the edge, repairing all the tear when I caught something moving out of the corner of my eye... I look over and my KatBobber is water skiing across the lake... Looked like the buoy from Jaws... pitched the net down and jumped on the rod at the same time my Katbobber disappears... After a really good fight, I landed a 10.2LB Channel Cat....

Not much action for about 45 minutes-1hour when my shiner line starts scream.... Figured it was a big bass the way it was fighting and was surprised to pull up a BIG! Drum... Nothing much after that...

Attached Files:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how do they hit here i use clikers so i let them run and swallow, is that a mistake, or should i use that circal methad with locked down reels

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use Kahle hooks.. Even with a Katbobber I use a clicker, minimizes my chances of having my rod walk off into the lake :wink:...

When My clicker starts screaming, I engage the reel, let the line tighten/rod load a bit to make sure they still have it, and then set the hook... I don't have much of a problem usually with them swallowing the hook.. With the Kahles the majority of the time the hook is right in the sweet spot on the corner of their mouth

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    well me and a buddy of mine (will call him 12 gauge) went out to lake springfield last night for 3 and a half hours didnt winch any big uns in but managed to catch 15 channels had a great time biggest channel went 5 lbs still waiting to wrangle in one of those blues i hear are out there wind let up on us so had to use the motor to drift all in all a great night