Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have been fishing the lake, how you are doing, if you fish in a boat or from shore. Been doing alright tons of fish on the rocks. Everybody seems to be catching little ones atleast. Shad and shrimp are working well. Have heard reports of fish on dipbait. Would like to see some of you start to fish the local buddy tournaments.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Havent made it there myself but keep hearing common baits ie: worms, shad, shrimp, liver are producing eater cats all over the bank from shore. Few big blues north of the zoo along the road there too on shad. Buddy sent me a pic of 3 3-5lbers he took on shad near the park north of the zoo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went out last Saturday night and caught three channels that went over 5lbs, a blue in the 15-17lb range and a couple of smaller channels... all on shad. We got them all in between 5-15 yards off the bank in front of some riprap.. Just figured I'd throw in an update... If anybody knows of a jon boat in the springfield area for sale, please let me know. Just want it for the river. doesn't need a motor or trailer, just 12-14ft...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Beat Im not getting into your business but 12ft is a little small for our local rivers. You''d be safer and better off with a 14' minimum I think. Buddy is catching nice channels and blues off the bank on skipjack, shad and shadgut. He fish's north of the zoo mainly and along the road there. Theres alot of the freebie papers that carry boats etc for sale and rarely is there not a jon boat. Buddy of mine had a boat for sale little while back. I'll call him and see if he still has it. There was one for sale on the main drag thru Petersburg two weeks ago but it was a 9.9 I think with a 12' or 14' jon and trailer but looked like a decent deal. Waiting on a call back now from the buddy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can fish at Lindsey Bridge. I wouldnt want to fish the docks. To many boats and they get beat all around. I would also fish at Tom madonia, hickory point, behind the zoo, or lincoln memorial gardens.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We fish north of the zoo alot and its a favorite spot for days we're just day tripping or killing time over there. The walk thru the park there isnt too fun with alot of gear. Eater size cats in that area are common. We use to fish a bridge over by Camp Cilca years ago but I dont know if that area even exists now?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went out lastnite around 10pm and stayed intell 11 this morning at TM park ueing sonnys,just trying to get some eaters,got em,a couple 5lbs,but also hooked a 25-30 turtle that i thought was gana be my biggest catfish so far,i dont know what kind it was,its shell was kinda soft, but it was old and heavy,i unhooked it and set em free.it was cool to see something thats been living in our lake for so long,plus picked up the bank line a bit,people relly need to clean up after thereself,everywhere we go there is alot of trash,but whatya do?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I am always pickin up other peoples junk. Shoot just the other day I was following a trail of beer cans across the middle of the lake. People just dont give a crap. Get drunk, Litter, and kill something. Of course they are all little spoiled rich kids who got daddys boat out on the lake.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back to catfishing. The other night in the tournament there were very few fish caught after dark period. Everyone seemed to catch there fish early in the evening. Could have just been the weather but they were hitting real good and then nothing. Partner lost a nice blue right at the back of the dang boat. Really would have helped us out in the yearly weight for top anglers. Just gonna have to catch a beast. You know if you want something done right you got to do it yourself.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I believe they where in the early part of june...There is a link to all the state site ie dnr .I think its at the bottom of the page for Illinois catfishing post..

·
Registered
943 Posts
Stopped by the Lake yesterday for a little while. Only had a few nibbles and a few fiddlers. Neighbor there was fishing out further with bigger gear and getting some good action. He had 2 eater channel he caught before we arrived and I helped him net a 6lb and an 8lb. Blues must be spawning or the DNR stocked some? He caught and threw back about a 2lb blue. He was using shad and leech's. All north of the zoo along the riprap.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope they were/are being put in by the local anglers with permission from the DNR. There are only a few hundred in there. I hope your friend had the descency to put it back cause they will be a lot more fun when they are 60 pounds. If not he probably didnt know the situation. Just keep the channels so you can hook into more hawgs. In ten years it will be one of the best blue catfisheries in the state. There is supposed to be a stocking program beginning this fall but only fingerlings. I bet an 80 pounder gets caught out of the lake in the next year or so. They are growing quick but quite a few have been killed. Not any monsters weighed in at the tounry's yet

·
Registered
943 Posts
I thought the ones from the Mississippi that were stocked in it were bigger, 20 or 30+lbers? Alot of the bigger blues being caught arent being put back. Ive seen some guys walking back to their vehicles with some pretty impressive blues. To some theyre just meat. Theres still some falling to illegal trotlines too. Hopefully they'll start spawning and maybe between that and the fingerlings being stocked it'll jumpstart them. Guy was in the Meijers parking lot last fall with a 50+lber, could have been lying but he said it came out of the lake? One of the Meijer workers snapped a picture and they were gonna hang it by the register in sporting goods. I havent paid much attention the few times Ive been back in there too see if its there?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There have been some nice ones put in but also some dinkers. Know of quite a few. We caught three blues in one night that were 4.3, 4.6, and 4.9 pounds. Two were tagged and put in in March by another angler. Sucks that everyone wants to take these fish. They arent even good eatin. The city wont put a limit on them or restrictions so I guess it is what it is. Wont stop the good fight though. I know how it feels to catch them monsters and everyone out here could have that chance if these fish we left be. Hope to catch that 80 this year. Good luck yourself.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.