Lake Springfield area

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 187um, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    was wondering if anyone out there knows any good bank fishing spots or spots in the springfield area period. i have a daughter there and go up there quite a bit so i thought i would give it a go. maybe a river or 2 near there? any info would be helpful thanks.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Plenty of great fishing in the area, you have the Lake (wich holds several cat tourneys) and the Sangamon River, a short drive south East to Sangchris lake (power plant lake) which also has plenty of great bank spots, there are a few members in the immediate area also, that are surly to chime in.

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx for the info.

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Randy pretty much covered it. Good area to catfish!

5. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well i have fished lake springfield once they call the part we went to the warming hole or somethin like that bout 3 yrs ago but never got anything there.isnt there a nice size pond or lake behind the D.O.T. visible from the 55 interstate? never fished it. has anyone founf any good spots along sangamon river?

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I'm assuming your talking about I-55/I-72 in th curve, that is part of the lake there at CWLP.... as far as Sangamon river I have not fished it for 10 years but there should still be some great places, I know again there are a couple fellas that will chime in for long that are regulars in that area.....
    Hear is a so/so map from CWLP of the area might give ya a few ideas on places, also if ya Google map the area you can see all the Boat ramps and spots that are water accessible on the maps.....

http://www.cwlp.com/images/lakeparkmap.gif

7. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    The area around Lindsey Bridge is good for kids. Fish the east side around the launch ramps. I have caught channels up to 18 lbs. and flatties up to 52lbs fishing there. Another plus is the Henson Robinson Zoo is about 1/4 mi. from there.

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    is the aerea by the lindsey bridge accesable with out a boat? wheni do go there i will not have a boat hence questions about bank fishin. you can fish at the zoo?

9. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Excellent bank access around the east side of the bridge. There is a large cove the extends to the east with good bank fishing as well. The zoo is just a neat place to take kids to and is geared toward children, no fishing at the zoo though. If you take the lake shore drive, you will find several areas with good bank fishing.

10. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am from Springfield. I fish all the local boddies of water. If I was fishing with a little girl from the bank I would fish either Lake Springfield at Tom Madonia Park , cast out into the middle just past the wooden bridge or fish bridge view park at the point. It is right next to the Marina. You could also fish the DOT or Washington Park ponds for smaller catfish. Some sort of dip bait, shad, or a worm will work for any of these situations. Just remember dip bait works better when its hot. This will put you into the best situation to catch a lot of smaller catfish. The stinkbait will attract them and can be very effective. Shad, worms, or any other bait will work to. Send me a Private Message if you have any questions or want any more information on other local bodies of water.

Jake

11. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx um my little girl is 2 as of december i probly wont take her out fishin for a couple of years. its just when i do go up there and have nothing to do i want to be able to kill a couple of hours or more after i go visit her. i have fished the sangcris spillway MONSTER blue gills but didnt catch any cats the gills were smashing the bait soon as it touched the water. but i thank you for the info. i used to live there for about 2 years or so and didnt start fishin there till like the last 3 months i was there. moved to southern illinois and became instant good ol' boy! LOL! but i love every second of it!

12. peechykeen10

peechykeen10 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Jake,

You said right by the boat access place by the parking lot, across from the beach is a good catfishin place? Would i cast more torwards the Bridge or the opposite direction?

Thanks

13. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Both. Cast out everywhere. If you dont get anything in 10-15 min. reel it in and throw it somewhere else. If this fails move to a different location. SOmetimes they are shallow, sometimes they are deep. Just have to fish in the right spot at the right time

Jake