Lake Springfield and the mighty Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by lookinfurabiggun, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Over the past few years Lake Springfield has become home to the big blue catfish. In 2005 and 2006, catfisherman, and woman started bringing blue catfish back to Lake Springfield from the Mississippi River. Over four months, 137 blue catfish were stocked ranging from 3 to 57 pounds. Thats not counting the big ones brought back before permission was granted to put them in the lake. I attended last months catfishing tournament on may 16th, where the biggest fish caught was a 64lb blue cat. Second place had a 30 lb blue. I personally have caught a 35lb blue out of Lake Springfield, which is my personel best. The same week I witnessed a 52lb blue caught. So for those of us who dont have the boats to fish the big river, and dont want to travel far to fish, Lake springfield is a great place to catch a big fish.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thanks for the info, i may check it out next time im up there. is that the lake where they have the biathlon at?

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how likly are you gonna get one from the bank i live close

4. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Thanks for the info. That's not too far to drive.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i might start fishing it but i have no clue werefish it

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    me neither but with a lake that is 3797 acres and only 300 plus blues in it

seems to me they would be hard to target.

they are also not spawing in the lake

and that came from the elctro fish study they just did 2 weeks ago
    they didnt even bring any up when they were doing the survey
    but i know there in there
    later
    slider

7. lookinfurabiggun

State:
    Illinois
    My 35 came from the bank, and the 50 + i seen caught came from the bank. It is not a very hard lake to figure out where to fish, one end is shallow, and one end is deep, the side towards the plant is the deep side and the farther you go away the shallower it gets. There is a boat dock right by the plant, and then one down the road a few miles off of east lake drive at lindsey bridge, and then another at the marina across the interstate. If anyone wants to fish some night just pm me and let me know and I will meet ya up there.

8. lookinfurabiggun

State:
    Illinois

I have heard the same thing, but since june and spawning season I havnt heard of anyone catching one, and right before spawn season they were biting good, if it goes how I think it is going to around july after spawn people will start catching them again. whether they are actually spawning or not I cant say, but the way they were biting and now they arent, says som thing I think.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YEA SANGCRIS IS SO HOT YOUR BAIT DIES ,ON THE HOOK IN A HAL HOUR, SO I ASSUM SPRINGFEILD IS THE SAME WAY,I DONT KNOW WHATS BETER SANGCRIS OR SPRINGFEILD

10. lookinfurabiggun

State:
    Illinois
    Not sure I have never had a problem keepin my bait alive in springfield, and fishin sangchris I have never caught any big channel catfish. I caught a 35lb flattie outa there, and I think your odds of catching a flathead are better at sangchris, but I am really surprised at the number of big channels being caught outa springfield. So for flattie fishin I would say sangchris, and channels I would say springfield.

11. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    2 Big blues caught last week. Good luck targeting them though. Just start drifting and relax.

12. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I still don't agree with how those Blues were put into Springfield lake. Most of those Blues that were stocked into that lake were taken from the Mississippi river and I still say you can't take a Blue cat from the river and put in a dead pool of water and expect it to live. Its a totally different enviroment. Plus I really don't feel it was right that a bunch of local anglers got permission from the local dnr biologist to transport fish, it should have been done by the people that get paid to stock fish (DNR or Nat. History survey). Its seems like Springfield lake is becoming more like a pay lake. Do it the right way and stock the lake with fingerlings and let them grow up the right way.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that is a pretty good point. blues are a more migratory species. if they grew in the river than they are gonna have quite a bit of shock being moved to a lake. and that would also explain why they are hard to catch there. they probably wont eat.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like the fact they are in there, i fish altone, ,i dont see how it hurt the population however if i was a local i might feel the same way, your right in a way they should of stocked it, but im on the fence on this argument with the altone guys and my area springfeild, i hate driving 2 hours to altone to not catch a thing, but on the other hand i can see why you would be mad so im on the fence on that issui

15. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow someone has always got something to whine about. The IDNR will not stock the lake and some of the local anglers who love to catfish spent theit time and money going to get the fish. DNR was involved in the whole process. We would love for DNR to get the fingerlings but they wont. It will have no effect on the Mississippi. The fish seem to be doing really well. One was caught that was 64 pds and the largest put in was 53 so I would say the fish are loving their new habitat. This was the only option we had. If you don't like it then fish somewhere else. It gives people around here "who don't all have the boat, money, or equipment to go to the Mississippi," the opportunity to catch a trophy fish. That is what it is all about. Bottom line this fish are doing well and people around here are loving catching them.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    like i say im on the fence i like the fact there in there but they need to stock it, they stocked northern and southern ill why not central, its bs, i got to drive that far to go blue fishing ill be lucky to get a 50 in a lifetime

17. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Of course those blues didnt hurt the Mississippi population and at least they didnt get filleted, but, whats legal for one should be legal for all. The Springfield bass chasers wouldnt care for 50, 100 whatever 10lb bass getting drug to and dumped in the river. I like that blues are in Springfield but when they announced what they were doing it kinda struck me wrong. I do wish they would put a stringent limit on the bigger blues. I know several locals killed some 25-35lbers. Over on the east side by the zoo a group had 3 on a stringer that were all 15(ish)lbs in early June. I imagine the blues are spawning at least a little. We have a population in several of our local municipal lakes and they go thru the motions but there is very little recruitment. We catch them from 1 lb to 10lb and the DNR doesnt stock them so there is some successful spawning.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Wow...
    If I remember correctly, it was first proposed that the DNR stock it with fingerlings. The state didn't have the cash nor the fishery to do it. So as an alternative, the DNR agreed to oversee the transportation of them. Seems I recall most of the large blue came from the Cabella's tourney in Alton and I *think* it was rougly around 130 or 140 fish (been awhile since I read it).

Not sure what the fuss is about. If it succeeds, there will be another blue cat fishery to pursue and enjoy and possibly enlighten some politicians to the true value of catfishing. If not, it was tried at little to no cost to the state.
    Guess I'm not understanding the "downside" to it..
    I'm glad there were catfishermen involved enough with our sport to make it happen and at least TRY to get them going.. Hats off to them.