Lake Smithville?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by nkccatman, Jun 7, 2007.

1. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Going to be camping at smithville this weekend,any tips on what part of the lake would be the best for nitefishing!I will have my boat also!I have fished a couple times at nite south of the plattsburg free ramp but have never did very good there!Is it usally better south or north of the w bridge!Any info would be helpful!

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sorry,can't give ya a current report,been fishin the dam the last few weeks.Check at Burtons?

3. dugjonz

dugjonz New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Burtons? What/where is that?
    (Sorry if it's a dumb question):embarassed:

I've tried east of the "E" bridge (SE part of the lake) a few times with weak results. I haven't even been able to find any bait fish down there. Next trip, I'm planning to head north of "W" and see what I can find, but any more info/specifics would be helpful and appreciated.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    used to always fish there but moved, just find one of the bridges and there are flats around each bend. Or you can set up at night by the peirs and float live bait and cut bait, usually works!!

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Burtons is the bait store in smithvillehttp://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/mo/smithville/burtons/

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Lake Map

Report by Burton's Bait and Tackle

Water Temp:69 degrees: The Corp started letting water out of the lake 5-15. They are letting out 1,750 cfs and plan to take the lake to 865. The main lake has really gotten muddy since they started pulling water. The clearest water in the lake is on the Camp branch side.

CRAPPIE: Fair : The fish are being caught but the big female crappie are hiding somewhere. You can fish the Camp branch side into Owl creek or Rock creek and Trimble on the Little Platte side and catch lots of small fish. The water has good color in these places. To catch the bigger fish (9" to 10") fish in the deeper water on the old banks.

BASS: Good: The water has scattered the bass and has made catching more of a challenge than usual. Some fish are in the flooded grass and others are still on the old bank. Makes catching more difficult.

CATFISH: Excellent: With all of the rain and water coming into the lake the fish are moving to the backs of the coves where the water is coming in and feeding up. Have been told of several fish over 30 lbs and seen lots of nice stringers of channel cats. Most of the big fish being caught are flatheads. About any bait will work just make sure you are fishing in the new flooded areas. (4' to 5' of water) Use a strike indicator in the flooded willows.

White Bass: Fair: The river run for the whites is over and the fish should be heading back toward the main lake. Caught a few whites on the main lake last week . They may being getting close

WALLEYE: Good: The walleye like the cats have moved up on the main lake points to feed. People are catching them on a roadrunner head tipped with a night crawler or a small crankbait. #5 shad rap.