Lake Smithville scoundrels

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishmerle, Jun 5, 2007.

1. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Any one who has fished Smithville either loves or hates it. I hate the fee at the park ramps, so we launched at Public Access 8 this weekend and ran lines north of the 240th st bridge.
    Saturday, we pulled out five.Friday night we had one (all channels, not much size). However, Sunday was a different story. We had none. In fact, we were in the negative, if that is possible. Some sorry lwo life theif cut our line Saturday night. The line wasn't in anyone's way. Perhaps our flaw was the orange tag which properly labeled our line making it legal.
    Now, who knows if there was a biggun on the line or why they stole it. All I know is they suck.
    Let's keep an eye out for one another.

2. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    That is why I put my tag underwater. It says plannly labeled withthe users full name and address. It does not say visably labeled, so it is still legal. I have never fished Smithville but I can remember one labor day weekend my father and I set limb lines and the next day went to check them and some had hooks and/or bait several had hooks missing after the weekend crowd was gone we fished the same places never lost a hook and caught some real nice fish so I feel for you. It sucks that after you spend the time and money lack of respect ruins it.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Matt,
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.Since I live in the area,I take it personally if someone has a bad experience here...but I'm sure you already know if you check the other state boards,this goes on everywhere,don't make it right,but it happens.
    I avoid weekend,thats my work time,but I have most weekday mornings off,and its pretty peaceful on that area.
    Good luck.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I wish people would leave what is not theirs alone. We are have a hard time on the Mo river with people running our lines. My buddy caught 4 guys running his line( only two of them so they let it go, but got their fish back) It is people like that that gives sportsman of all kinds a bad name:angry:

5. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt

Did you have a bunch of lines out? What was the city named on the orange tags? Let me know, while up the river Saturday afternoon with a friend I was asked a strange question by a fellow fisherman.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    .......and the plot thickens:confused2:

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, no kidding...my interest has been piqued.

8. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This post just struck me when I went through it. Saturday afternoon a friend and myself were comming back down the river. We had been well north and had seen a number of lines set with nice orange tags. While still up the river we were stopped and asked if we had been setting lines out with orange tags. We said no and he told us that someone had put their lines out in "his" spots. It was just an odd statement and struck me at the time. Now I have no idea if that old boy had something to do with it but it just hit me wronge from the start and then I find this post...........

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    hmmm..."his" spot, ehh? Well, that makes *complete* sense. I mean, it's "his" river, ain't it?

No wonder I've been having such poor luck fishing this season -- everyone's been in *MY* spot! :lol::tounge_out:

10. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also failed to get the memo on this one. Gota love it though, it takes all kinds I guess.

11. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Yep, that was me. I was approached by three old boys asking if those were our tags Saturday afternoon. Thye seemed nice enough and were wondering because we had a line tied by were they normally tied theirs.

They asked if we mind if they put lines close to ours and we said no. I am sure it wasn't this particular boat. We were off the water after them on Sat night and on before them Sunday morning.

When we saw them Sun, we told them we saw their jug a bouncing and that our line was cut. They acted disgusted and said if they ever saw someone doing that they'd "put two holes in the bottom of their boat for us".

If the boat wasn't a jon with three old boys, we might be on to something.

I also wondered if someone might have been dumb enough to cut the line because there was a fish and turn it in at Grumpy's for the tournament.

12. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats too bad about the way some people are and i also like the part about his spot i quit fishin smithville years ago i was gettin ready to put the boat in and we had to wait cuz they were draggin by the ramp well they were draggin for an old friends husband unfortunately they found him well needless to say it ruined my day and i just havent been back

13. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt
    I will take your word on it not being the three old boys in the jon boat. We were the ones that were in the pontoon boat that passed you. My Dad ran some limb lines last night and this morning all the hooks had been cleaned off and the hooks stuck in the tree out of the water.

14. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Scott- I remember seeing you...too bad about your lines. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person

15. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Matt and Scott, sorry to hear story.. I live on the south end of smithville lake and it gets pretty crazy on weekends. I stay away and only go during the week but not everyone can do that.. too bad there are people who are that way. sorry again .